Building my first PC

Hey I've recently got into PC's and am looking to build a gaming PC just to build it, I found a pretty good deal on a i5 2500k, and am wondering what motherboard I should buy for it. Any other advice on parts is appreciated. I do not want to spend to much on this build, realistcly $300 up to $500 MAX(hopfully on the lower side. I am getting the i5 for $50.

2 minutes ago, K1NGN00B said:

Hey I've recently got into PC's and am looking to build a gaming PC just to build it, I found a pretty good deal on a i5 2500k, and am wondering what motherboard I should buy for it. Any other advice on parts is appreciated. I do not want to spend to much on this build, realistcly $300 up to $500 MAX(hopfully on the lower side. I am getting the i5 for $50.

Get a z77 chipset if I remember correctly for these generation

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

TBH i'd get a used i7 2600 or e3 123x instead of the 2500k, the extra threads will be better.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I have a 2600 in the computer I'm using now, what is a e3 123x?

Nevermind just googled it, i got you thanks. What about GPU's? 

2 minutes ago, K1NGN00B said:

e3 123x

It's a xeon processor. 

As for the 2500k, that's an LGA 1155 socket, so go with a z77 chipset (the board name will literally have z77 in the name). Expect to pay ~90 for a decent one on ebay.com.

Are you saying you already have an intel i7-2600 in your current computer? That cpu is fine for gaming, why not just install a GPU in your current computer?

5 minutes ago, K1NGN00B said:

the xeon 1230 series CPUs, the 'x' is just a placeholder for other numbers. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

What's the price range? Used or new? 

Used: GTX 980 for less than $200, GTX 960 for ~100, GTX 1060 for about the same as a 980, GTX 1070 for ~250. 

New: Anything you want in your price range. :)

6 minutes ago, K1NGN00B said:

then the 2500k is a downgrade, avoid it and use the money on a better GPU. what's your budget and current GPU?

1 hour ago, corrado33 said:

It's a xeon processor. 

As for the 2500k, that's an LGA 1155 socket, so go with a z77 chipset (the board name will literally have z77 in the name). Expect to pay ~90 for a decent one on ebay.com.

Are you saying you already have an intel i7-2600 in your current computer? That cpu is fine for gaming, why not just install a GPU in your current computer?

I honestly want to build a pc just to build it, I have a gtx 660 in the computer I'm using now but am planing to get a 1060 soon. I've always been a console gamer until a few years ago when i started playing CS:GO. There seems to be alot of 2500k CPU's in my area right now so i thought it would be a great starting point because i would like to try overclocking a cpu at the same time without worrying about ruinging the pc.

Just now, K1NGN00B said:

I honestly want to build a pc just to build it, I have a gtx 660 in the computer I'm using now but am planing to get a 1060 soon. I've always been a console gamer until a few years ago when i started playing CS:GO. There seems to be alot of 2500k CPU's in my area right now so i thought it would be a great starting point because i would like to try overclocking a cpu at the same time without worrying about ruinging the pc.

That generation is SUPER cheap right now. In canada I can find a motherboard + high end i7 CPU + ram for less than $200 Canadian Pesos. So you should be able to find it for even cheaper in USD. Z170 and Z270 is cheap right now as well. 

Sorry i forgot to mention the above budget was in Canadian....