Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Open Shot & Video Editing Software

fpo
 Share

TL;DR

Open Shot isn't working well. I want a free or 1 time cost video editing software that works on Windows 10 64 bit. Plus if it's also stable on Linux-not only on Linux. Debian based, Ubuntu based or Mint based is okay as I use Mint.

 

Long:
I downloaded Open Shot because it was said to be an easy to use video editing software with more power than meets the eye. To be fair, yes, it has a lot of features & is easy to use. However, for some odd reason I tried making a video & after the video got to over 3~ minutes, the video editor basically doesn't let you preview the video for me & closing the software takes a really long time.


I had bought Vegas 14~ or whatever when it was on Humble Bundle but it also has really odd issues.


I did very much enjoy Lightworks & used it very extensively. I wanted to move away from it because it forces you to autosave clips to the C:/ drive on Windows. I did upgrade my SSD to 1TB but I don't like things saving to the C:/ Drive if I don't tell it to. I have 3 internal drives & want to choose where files save.

 

I had used Hitfilm Express before. It was okay but I'd like to use something different. Something as basic as creating subtitles was an annoying process.

 

I didn't get Cinelerra because it's only compiled for Linux. Avidemux looks too complex. Blender was super weird to get working even with YouTube tutorials.
I heard of Kdenlive but it's only available through a VM or something?

Any recommendations? I'd like something that looks like Vegas or Premiere. I enjoyed Windows Movie maker but it was limited & would lag horribly if clips got too long. Also it didn't support many high resolution clips.

LTT Fan Fiction:

My new favourite thread:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used Vegas Pro 13 and openshot to great success. Hi wmuch ram have you got in your pc? And are you running 32bjt or 64. I tried using openshot on a laptop running 32bit Ubuntu with 4gb of ram and it didn't cooperate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Joelsome said:

I've used Vegas Pro 13 and openshot to great success. Hi wmuch ram have you got in your pc? And are you running 32bjt or 64. I tried using openshot on a laptop running 32bit Ubuntu with 4gb of ram and it didn't cooperate. 

i5 3450 CPU

12 GB DDR3 (3x 4GB)

R9 390 GPU

windows 10 64 bit

Open Shot 2.4.3
can't tell if 32 or 64
 

Spoiler

image.png.147320277b7941a73a25f761fa757ab6.png

EDIT:
Desktop

LTT Fan Fiction:

My new favourite thread:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

KDEnlive is open source, or davinci resolve which is free

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You may want to try checking somehow if it is 32bit or not. If it is 32bit back up your files and install a fresh 18.04lts distro on that machine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Joelsome said:

Which Ubuntu is it? Eg 16.04 lts or the short term support variation. 

I'm on Windows 10. It's just a plus if it's on Linux. If it's made for Debian, Ubuntu or Mint, it'd be okay as Ubuntu is based on Debian and Mint is based on Ubuntu.

LTT Fan Fiction:

My new favourite thread:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, fpo said:

I'm on Windows 10. It's just a plus if it's on Linux. If it's made for Debian, Ubuntu or Mint, it'd be okay as Ubuntu is based on Debian and Mint is based on Ubuntu.

Mint was designed to be easy for windows users to use. Which is why I don't use it ;-). Try 64 but Ubuntu on a separate partition, I promise you that you will like it. Even try a live cd. It is nicer to use in my opinion than mint, and is still based on .deb so no having to do an arch or bsd and relearn your good old sudo apt get install! If you are on Windows I hear Windows movie maker is good. And you can get an infinite trial of Adobe cc if you do some googling. It's legal, because the trial just never runs out ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Joelsome said:

Mint was designed to be easy for windows users to use. Which is why I don't use it ;-). Try 64 but Ubuntu on a separate partition, I promise you that you will like it. Even try a live cd. It is nicer to use in my opinion than mint, and is still based on .deb so no having to do an arch or bsd and relearn your good old sudo apt get install! If you are on Windows I hear Windows movie maker is good. And you can get an infinite trial of Adobe cc if you do some googling. It's legal, because the trial just never runs out ?

I'm not changing Linux OS. I tried like 6 of them & they're all for the most part the same. I'm sticking with mint. Thank you though.

I'm looking for advice on video editing software on Windows 10 64 bit. If I ever go to Linux one day, I will stick to mint as I am a huge fan of windows' layout. I won't spend the time modifying Ubuntu's to mimic windows.

LTT Fan Fiction:

My new favourite thread:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Joelsome said:

What problems were you having with openshot? 

As I explained in the OP, when the video got too long, the preview wouldn't let me play anymore & then when I tried to close the program, it'd just not do anything for a long while before closing.

LTT Fan Fiction:

My new favourite thread:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, fpo said:

As I explained in the OP, when the video got too long, the preview wouldn't let me play anymore & then when I tried to close the program, it'd just not do anything for a long while before closing.

How long? Because that sounds ever so similar to what i had happen. Save often and restart. I think it is ram. If you want another 8gb I have some for sale on my ebay. Im in the UK so probably not worth shipping it to the americas if that is where you are. For video production 16gb is recommended, with 32 being kinda standard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Joelsome said:

How long? Because that sounds ever so similar to what i had happen. Save often and restart. I think it is ram. If you want another 8gb I have some for sale on my ebay. Im in the UK so probably not worth shipping it to the americas if that is where you are. For video production 16gb is recommended, with 32 being kinda standard. 

I have 2 video clips at 720p 60FPS at 30 mbps. I also have 2 pictures at or below 1920x1080p. The video is currently just under 7 minutes and 30 seconds.

Current task manager with project open & trying to play the preview:

Spoiler

image.png.dcd03acb01b2ae2965c18d123679d270.png

Maybe it's my CPU?

I never had problems in the past with Lightworks nor other software I had used.

LTT Fan Fiction:

My new favourite thread:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, fpo said:

I have 2 video clips at 720p 60FPS at 30 mbps. I also have 2 pictures at or below 1920x1080p. The video is currently just under 7 minutes and 30 seconds.

Current task manager with project open & trying to play the preview:

  Hide contents

image.png.dcd03acb01b2ae2965c18d123679d270.png

Maybe it's my CPU?

I never had problems in the past with Lightworks nor other software I had used.

My 4670k had some problems with editing bigger files actually. Come to think of it the laptop was 3rd gen. Mebby openshot doesn't like 3rd gen cpus. I can edit it for you if you would like. Not now as I'm going to sleep, but if you set up a Dropbox link with the files I'll do it for you tomorrow free of charge becuase I have nothing better to do. Then you don't have to worry for a bit longer and it gives you time to find the right editing software for. You. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Joelsome said:

My 4670k had some problems with editing bigger files actually. Come to think of it the laptop was 3rd gen. Mebby openshot doesn't like 3rd gen cpus. I can edit it for you if you would like. Not now as I'm going to sleep, but if you set up a Dropbox link with the files I'll do it for you tomorrow free of charge becuase I have nothing better to do. Then you don't have to worry for a bit longer and it gives you time to find the right editing software for. You. 

Thanks! However the edit was made to censor out personal information like my name & credit card information & whatnot. I have gameplay if you just want to do whatever with if you’re that bored XD. 

LTT Fan Fiction:

My new favourite thread:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×