pfsense adding google docs to firewall

capawesome9870
Go to solution Solved by capawesome9870,

i think i got it

i went in to alias and set up docs_google (name) and the source docs.google.com

then made a rule for the alias docs_google and it seems to be working on my laptop. 

now just to wait for him to need it and see if it actually goes faster for him. 

i already have pfsense up and running

i have a metered network of 10GB per month so i made a firewall rule that slows down downloads of all things. 

i am wanting to add Google Docs to and rule before that rule so that it is not slowed down. 

as my brother needs it for school work and not fun, and as it doesn't default to loading at a large size (youtube)

in doing my looking it up.  'docs.google.com' is not allowed as it wants an ip address. 

so i pinged the docs.google.com server and got the ip address "216.58.217.46"

great

now if i ping 'youtube.com' also a google service it goes to "216.58.217.46"  the same F^&* address. 

so if i want to allows docs.google.com via an ip address rule it would also un-limit youtube as well.  (the main reason i created the rule)

is there an other way?

CPU: AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS 12x Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2 GPU RX480 4GB) Memory 16GB DDR1333 SSD: PNY Prevail 120G + Corsair Force LE 120G (Steam) Bulk storage Stable Bit Drive Pool with 5x 2TB 2x 3TB PSU Corsair 600w Case Rosewill Throne

i think i got it

i went in to alias and set up docs_google (name) and the source docs.google.com

then made a rule for the alias docs_google and it seems to be working on my laptop. 

now just to wait for him to need it and see if it actually goes faster for him. 

CPU: AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS 12x Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2 GPU RX480 4GB) Memory 16GB DDR1333 SSD: PNY Prevail 120G + Corsair Force LE 120G (Steam) Bulk storage Stable Bit Drive Pool with 5x 2TB 2x 3TB PSU Corsair 600w Case Rosewill Throne

Aliases simply resolve to one or a bunch of IP addresses, so you will still have the same problem of YouTube being allowed if they share an IP address.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7