Destroyed HDD

Caolan.Kelly

My HDD crashed when I first bought it... Could of been due to a windows usb (not exactly a bought one) it was fairly fucked but I want to use it as the current laptop one in using (it was just a filler) is so slow. Kind of afraid to plug it in incase I fuck up my HDD now. 

Could anyone give me advice how to fix it without messing my pc up

have you done any testing? like smart tests, write speeds or even something as simple as userbenchmark? is it making any strange sounds? 

Plugging in a bad hard drive won't hurt any other hardware. Plug it into your current PC and do a format and a chkdsk to be safe. If the chkdsk finds errors then you can either roll the dice or toss it.

-KuJoe

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

have you done any testing? like smart tests, write speeds or even something as simple as userbenchmark? is it making any strange sounds? 

I didn't plug it in once it went didn't want to corrupt the new one 

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Plugging in a bad hard drive won't hurt any other hardware. Plug it into your current PC and do a format and a chkdsk to be safe. If the chkdsk finds errors then you can either roll the dice or toss it.

Alright ill give that a go thanks 

5 minutes ago, LunaP0n3 said:

Language please.

If you could give us more details, that'd be great.

English ... Sorry bad joke I know and was loading a windows key a friend gave me and it basically wouldn't boot or be recognised after installing the key, but worked fine before that using linux

Linux uses filesystems not recognized by Windows (ext4 etc). Backup anything you might want off the drive using a linux OS, then format it within Windows.

12 minutes ago, LunaP0n3 said:

Linux uses filesystems not recognized by Windows (ext4 etc). Backup anything you might want off the drive using a linux OS, then format it within Windows.

I never got a chance to load anything onto it so I basically just want to completely set it to factory but didn't know if plugging it in if it's corrupt would mess up anything (mainly the other HDD)  

4 minutes ago, LunaP0n3 said:

It shouldn't. Windows will just be upset that it can't recognize the filesystem and prompt you to format it.

It has loaded up I'm in diskpart now and it is recognized what should I do to fix it ?

1. list disk

find the drive, identifiable by capacity.

2. select disk #

Double check the disk selection is right.

3. format fs=ntfs quick

Just now, LunaP0n3 said:

2. select disk #

Where # is the number of the drive you want to select to format.

1 minute ago, LunaP0n3 said:

Where # is the number of the drive you want to select to format.

That worked thanks so much for the help

7 minutes ago, LunaP0n3 said:

No problem. I take it the drive now shows up in This PC?

Yeah perfect just moved OS onto it, do you know after I merge my Os, it says there is now the same amount of space as my other hdd, is it normal for it to move all apps as well?

If you cloned the data yes. Unfortunately you can't drag and drop program installs between drives.

1 minute ago, LunaP0n3 said:

If you cloned the data yes. Unfortunately you can't drag and drop program installs between drives.

So if I merged it I can reformat the old laptop HDD to use for useless stuff ?

1 minute ago, Caolan.Kelly said:

So if I merged it I can reformat the old laptop HDD to use for useless stuff ?

I'd hold onto it for a while until you're sure Windows is safely running off the drive you just formatted. Confirm the system boots off the new drive, and don't reformat the old one until you're sure that all of your data is undamaged.

Just now, LunaP0n3 said:

I'd hold onto it for a while until you're sure Windows is safely running off the drive you just formatted. Confirm the system boots off the new drive, and don't reformat the old one until you're sure that all of your data is undamaged.

Okay cool I restarted and checked the boot window but I didn't really give me a great idea of what drive it was booting from

If you start the system with only the new drive connected, and Windows loads without the old one, you should be good to go.

Pardon me, but I have to get some sleep. It's an hour from midnight over here in AU.

1 hour ago, LunaP0n3 said:

Pardon me, but I have to get some sleep. It's an hour from midnight over here in AU.

Thank you very much for all the help