First PC Build

zzzoot

I am planning my first PC build cause atm I have a laptop that is getting slow and old fast. The main uses will be gaming, and although I don't play many AAA or intensive games, I want a PC that is future proofed for at least a few years without needing to upgrade for a little while. I am in Australia and I don't want to be spending much more than $1000 AUD, although I don't mind stretching that a hundred dollars more or so if you guys feel its necessary, but I'd prefer as cheap as possible around $1000 exc. Windows (if you guys can make it even cheaper than that, even better). I will be playing games on a 1080p 60Hz display. Here is what I've got so far:

Any advice or tips much appreciated,

Thanks

coming from an AMD fan boy, you can get a 1060 6gb for about the same as the rx580 with way more preformance. also you should spend the largest amount on your graphics card i would downgrade the cpu alittle and maybe spend alittle more on the gpu and get a good cooler to keep it working longer. also not sure if you have it added already but windows will run you about $140 Australian i think. 

4 minutes ago, Jharring3050 said:

coming from an AMD fan boy, you can get a 1060 6gb for about the same as the rx580 with way more preformance.

Thanks for the help, I have looked into the 1060 6gb but it will cost about $75 AUD more than the RX 580 8gb, do you think it will be worth that much extra?

4 minutes ago, zzzoot said:

Thanks for the help, I have looked into the 1060 6gb but it will cost about $75 AUD more than the RX 580 8gb, do you think it will be worth that much extra?

i would down grade the cpu and use the saved money to get a 1060. you really dont need a super powerfull cpu to game in modern games the gpu matters more. i would maybe look at a Intel Core i5-7400 its a gen older but should still work fine + you can use the same mobo. but there is so much out there if youre willing to look.

12 minutes ago, zzzoot said:

Definitely not. A 580 is just as capable as a 1060. If you have any extra get an SSD. Trust me, booting of a HDD is a pain. 

17 minutes ago, zzzoot said:

if youre willing to think about amd i have a ryzen 5 1600x and it works great no problems in any games i play. plus its much cheaper then intel

4 minutes ago, Jharring3050 said:

i would down grade the cpu and use the saved money to get a 1060. you really dont need a super powerfull cpu to game in modern games the gpu matters more. i would maybe look at a Intel Core i5-7400 its a gen older but should still work fine + you can use the same mobo. but there is so much out there if youre willing to look.

No, he cant use a B360 board with a 7th gen CPU. 

I'm happy to swap out the mobo for another one around the same cost

Just now, Konrad_K said:

No, he cant use a B360 board with a 7th gen CPU. 

oh yeah hahaha i was just looking at socket type either way you can spend less on a cpu and just choose a cheap compatable mobo

1 minute ago, Jharring3050 said:

oh yeah hahaha i was just looking at socket type either way you can spend less on a cpu and just choose a cheap compatable mobo

Yeah, his CPU is wayyy overpriced at that U-mart

Just now, Konrad_K said:

Yeah, his CPU is wayyy overpriced at that U-mart

Hahaha U Mart is kinda dodgy for customer service apparently but it costs $30-40 more anywhere else

PCPartPicker part list: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/8BbHLJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/8BbHLJ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($255.00 @ Skycomp Technology) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($207.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Predator 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($118.00 @ Umart) 
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card 
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.00 @ Austin Computers) 
Total: $808.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-01 21:31 AEDT+1100

That's a better build that cost less. 

7 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

Definitely not. A 580 is just as capable as a 1060. If you have any extra get an SSD. Trust me, booting of a HDD is a pain. 

also going to have to disagree the 580 just cant compete with nvidia. when you get into vega thats a totally different story but the lower gpus are not even close

1 minute ago, Konrad_K said:

That's a better build that cost less. 

Doesn't include costs of RAM/GPU in the total price

Just now, zzzoot said:

Yep. Sorry, I will fix it in a moment. 

1 minute ago, zzzoot said:

well you also really dont need a rog strix mobo

1 minute ago, zzzoot said:

PCPartPicker part list: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/qFhW7W
Price breakdown by merchant: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/qFhW7W/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($255.00 @ Skycomp Technology) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($207.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($133.00 @ Umart) 
Storage: Western Digital - Green  240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.00 @ Umart) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 4 GB AORUS 4G Video Card  ($269.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Total: $1080.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-01 21:36 AEDT+1100

5 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

PCPartPicker part list: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/qFhW7W
Price breakdown by merchant: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/qFhW7W/by_merchant/

Memory: Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($133.00 @ Umart) 
Storage: Western Digital - Green  240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.00 @ Umart) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 4 GB AORUS 4G Video Card  ($269.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Total: $1080.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-01 21:36 AEDT+1100

What would you suggest for a cheaper mobo to make up for no hard drive lol

Just now, Jharring3050 said:

thats just an online guess youre going to get a ton of extra preformance becuase nvidia is just better at the game.

Well. I had both cards. Now I have a 1060. I used to have a RX 480. I am not an AMD fanboy, I am just trying to objectively show the performance. I independently benchmarked both of them and had results withing 5% of each other in multiple games. I don't mean to be hostile but  please, don't spread mistruth. We are both here to help someone build a PC not to argue about two same-class GPU's. 

Just now, zzzoot said:

What would you suggest for a cheaper mobo to make up for no hard drive lol

If you need more storage I wouldn't go any cheaper than an Asrock B450 Pro. The price difference should let you get a 1TB hdd.