Advice for RAM/CPU

iEimis

Hi all,

Built a Ryzen 3 1300x based PC back in July and decided that it's time to upgrade.

Managed to get the CPU for £60 at the time and used 8gb of Crucial Ballistix ram as a temporary measure due to insane ram prices which overclocked well from 2400 to 2993MHz just from within bios profile.

Currently, we have an eBay promotion here in the UK which ends tomorrow. Ryzen 5 1600x can be purchased for £116, on the other hand Ryzen 7 1700 is only £136. An argument could be made that 5 2600 comes down to £140 relatively often.

I am very conflicted in which CPU to get, on one hand, you have 8 cores and 16 threads + wraith spire cooler with LED for just £20 more. On the other hand at the moment I am only using PC for gaming and some productivity work but I believe 6 cores would suffice. (I already have a Deepcool cooler rated for either 95 or 105W (can't remember). But I am conscious that 5 1600x was rated at 95W as opposed to 7 1700 being rated at 65W TDP.

Another conflict I have is the fact that I want to upgrade my RAM from 8GB to 16GB. I currently have 2x4GB sticks. I have managed to buy further 2x4GB sticks at £36 (the price I paid for a single 4GB stick in July), however, that's on backorder from Amazon and has been for about 3 weeks now so no idea if it will ever actually arrive.

Crucial Tactical Tracer 8GB running at 3000MHz natively is currently available at £57.99 (This has RGB) so two sticks would work out at £115.98. However, as per the eBay promotion, there is currently g.skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb @ 3200MHz available for £110.

Any advice to get me out of a conflict with myself? RGB would be rather nice in the build as I have a red/black theme going, but 200MHz native RAM performance might make more sense, however, my experience with Crucial memory has been fantastic so far to be able to overclock 2400MHz to 2933 MHz by just choosing the correct profile in bios, so who knows, perhaps tactical tracer could overclock to 3200 quite well too. 

4 minutes ago, iEimis said:

Built a Ryzen 3 1300x based PC back in July and decided that it's time to upgrade.

That was fast. Me personally, I'm waiting for 7nm next year for CPU and GPU upgrades.

If you see the 2600 for £140 it'll be the best deal for gaming.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

1 minute ago, bleedblue said:

That was fast. Me personally, I'm waiting for 7nm next year for CPU and GPU upgrades.

If you see the 2600 for £140 it'll be the best deal for gaming.

I guess i should have added that originally i was running rx580, however it was faulty, so i had to return it. Then a really good deal came up for gtx 1070 (£270) so now my cpu is pretty much the bottleneck. I would be inclined to wait for next year's 7nm chips but have a feeling it will be closer to £200. I think £116 for 1600x is a good deal at the current state.