PS4 Remote Play Troubleshooting

bman7842

Our family ps4 is located in our living room which is convenient for all but sometimes I just want to play a game in my room on my computer. I tried out remote play recently and noticed it was not performing as I would expect and was curious what trouble shooting I could do to see what may be the cause.

I know there are many variables that come into play when it comes to game streaming so I was curious if anyone had a similar problem and what their approach was.

So first off my setup, as mentioned my ps4 is located in my living room and my computer in my bedroom. The ps4 is a CUH-1200 model so I realize it is only capable of doing 720p streaming and this ps4 is connected through Ethernet to a nearby router. Our home runs a mesh network with two different routers, both routers are connected via Ethernet to our main router and my pc is connected to the other router in my room. Basically, long story short, both my ps4 and pc are connected via ethernet to two different routers, which are both connected to my main home network. I was wondering if this mesh network system may be my first issue, so I'll list my routers as well: My pc is connected to an Apple Airport Express and the ps4 is connected to a netgear WNDR4300.

Now that's my setup, so here is my issue. Playing Horizon Zero Dawn creates a great deal of compression in the video stream, it basically makes the game look like a blur. At first I didn't think this was a huge deal, I sorta expected it do to the complexity of the games visuals but after watching other users streaming the game and have much better quality I was concerned. I would imagine I should be receiving better performance (To reference what the game looks like, its like when streaming a video on youtube or netflix and the quality just randomly bumps down to an extremely low resolution). The more I move around, the worse it gets, but if I go back to the main menu quality is restored, which makes sense however clearly there must be some sort of bandwidth bottleneck preventing it from being able to stream the game while in action. I was curious if anyone had suggestions to solve this or maybe I am just expecting too much from the service.