Trying to seperate drives in from StoreMI

Go to solution Solved by seagate_surfer,

So, if you already reinstalled Windows in the SSD leave that one like that and then work on the HDD, to remove the partition on the HDD and reformat it use these commands in the CMD:

Type DiskPart on the CMD or invoke the tool with the Run window:

• Run

First, select the drive you're working on:

• List disk: Displays the list of attached disks and USB flash drives
  • Sel disk (select disk): Selects the scope to work in
  • Clean all: Removes partition and volume information from the selected device

Next, with your device clean (in factory state), create partitions and format it. Select your drive and type the following commands to create partitions:

• List part: Display partitions available on the drive (a fabric state would not have partitions)
  • Sel part: Used to select a partition to work on
  • Del part: Used to delete the selected partition

If you don't have partitions, you can create a new one.

Create part primary: This command creates a primary partition of the full size of the drive. You can also specify an extended or logical partition or the size desired for the partition using size="xxx".

Now select your partition to format and configure it with the selected partition type:

• Format override fs=”NTFS” label=”label”: Performs a low-level format (secure erase), configures your partition on NTFS file system, and sets the desired label.

You can also use other parameters and functions of this command. For example, to run a quick format in place of override, type “format quick fs=”NTFS” label=”test” size=409600” (size is in MB).

You have created and formatted your partition. If the partition doesn't have a letter assigned, you can't see the drive on Windows*.

To see the drive, type the following commands:

• List vol: List all volumes available
  • Sel vol: Select the volume that you already create with the last commands.
  • Assign letter: Assign a letter to the drive so Windows sees your drive. The drive is ready to use. For example: assign letter=”D”.

Diskpart

For more information about DiskPart, see the commands syntax and commands explanation.

I got a new WD Blue 1tb drive yesterday, and I have an X470 board so I decided I'd try out the new StoreMI technology. Speeding up my hard drive with my 240gb SSD boot drive sounded pretty cool. I regret it. I should have done more research and now I feel like an idiot. I love having my SSD dedicated so my OS and my mass storage dedicated to my Steam library, and I want that back. After I tried to revert it with the StoreMI application it just did not revert, and now I have 929gb total storage instead of 1.2tb like I should, and did before. I have no idea what happened to that storage, but Disk Management in Windows 10 says both drives are there and in the correct capacity. And I can't reformat the drives in Disk Management, because the 'Delete Volume' option is grayed out. I just reinstalled Windows because I couldn't install any games on Steam, and it fixed that, but nothing else. When I try to boot from my SSD in BIOS, it is apparently not bootable, and if I detach my hard drive, Enmotus tells me I can't boot without the tiered drive. I watched Linus' video on using Optane instead of a regular SSD and he talked about how PrimoCache did wonders for him. Could I download that and use it to do the job StoreMI couldn't (seperating the drives)?Storage.PNG.f0ce5a3df4e19175ff36da257cc4eec7.PNG

Hello Sir_Salmon,

That's something you should try and find out if it works, it may not because the algorithm changes, so whether the PrimoCache can separate or not the drives is uncertain.

Now there is another thing... If you reinstalled the operating system there is a possibility that the operation fails because you created a new master boot record, a new partition table. When you install Windows, it automatically in the first sector of the drive, in the boot sector at the very beginning of partition this file (the MBR) gets created and so the partition table and this is what is usually moved when you use these type/methods of cache accelerating.

So you cannot return the MBR to a drive that has one already. In this case I would leave the OS installed in the SSD and would re-partition the HDD. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

3 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

In this case I would leave the OS installed in the SSD and would re-partition the HDD. 

Okay, that's essentially what I want to do anyways. I just don't know how to do it.

So, if you already reinstalled Windows in the SSD leave that one like that and then work on the HDD, to remove the partition on the HDD and reformat it use these commands in the CMD:

Type DiskPart on the CMD or invoke the tool with the Run window:

• Run

First, select the drive you're working on:

• List disk: Displays the list of attached disks and USB flash drives
  • Sel disk (select disk): Selects the scope to work in
  • Clean all: Removes partition and volume information from the selected device

Next, with your device clean (in factory state), create partitions and format it. Select your drive and type the following commands to create partitions:

• List part: Display partitions available on the drive (a fabric state would not have partitions)
  • Sel part: Used to select a partition to work on
  • Del part: Used to delete the selected partition

If you don't have partitions, you can create a new one.

Create part primary: This command creates a primary partition of the full size of the drive. You can also specify an extended or logical partition or the size desired for the partition using size="xxx".

Now select your partition to format and configure it with the selected partition type:

• Format override fs=”NTFS” label=”label”: Performs a low-level format (secure erase), configures your partition on NTFS file system, and sets the desired label.

You can also use other parameters and functions of this command. For example, to run a quick format in place of override, type “format quick fs=”NTFS” label=”test” size=409600” (size is in MB).

You have created and formatted your partition. If the partition doesn't have a letter assigned, you can't see the drive on Windows*.

To see the drive, type the following commands:

• List vol: List all volumes available
  • Sel vol: Select the volume that you already create with the last commands.
  • Assign letter: Assign a letter to the drive so Windows sees your drive. The drive is ready to use. For example: assign letter=”D”.

Diskpart

For more information about DiskPart, see the commands syntax and commands explanation.

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

45 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Clean all: Removes partition and volume information from the selected device

Alright so I'm following the picture and I've had 'clean all' going for several minutes here. I can't type in the cmd box and nothing is happening, no "Diskpart succeeded in cleaning the disk." and I can't type in the box. This normal? Does it take a really long time?

Not sure what happened, but I went through a small portion of what you did in diskpart.exe there, shut down my computer to play WiiU with a friend, then turned it back on again and Windows greeted me with a new install of Windows 10, plus my drives are individual now! Yay!5b8dd8318bee5_itworked.PNG.0653fa07bce9cfff5288ca31cd630202.PNG

Those are great news, YAY! I does take some time eyes but I am glad to hear that everything is now ok with your computer!