Whats the most ideal number of heatpipes for a CPU cooler???

Yuma

Is it just: the more the better?

or is it: it doesnt make a difference after a certain point

Edit: I am very very special ofc u can only have one heatsink

I am dumb

I meant Heatpipe

CPU cooling typically opens up a gigantic topic. The single best piece of advice is to go look at reliable sites like newegg and check the various reviews for applicable coolers for your specific CPU.

That said, you can't go wrong with Noctua, but some of their coolers are HUGE. Make sure they will fit your computer box!

Don't forget to put new heat sink compound on... 

:|

i7 12700k @ 5.1GHz OC (EKWB) / Msi Edge wifi ddr4 / Asus TUF 3080ti (EKWB) / Acer XB327 270HZ, 3x LG 27GL83A-B 144hz, SONY KDL40D3000 Thermaltake P5 / 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / Samsung 980 pro 1tb NVMe ssd, Serbrent 1tb NVMe ssd,Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 PRO SSD (raid), 2 TB Seagate HDDSeasonic TX 1000w titanium/ EK-FC1080 Ti GTX ASUS Strix RGB GPU Block, EK-Supremacy EVO, EK-CoolStream XE 360 [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans], EK-CoolStream XE 360 slim [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans],  EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition, EK-RES X3 250 RGBMountain Everest custom with Sorbothane sound dampening / Razer Viper Ultimate, Logitec G502 , Logitec G Pro Wireless / Beardynamic DT1990 PRO with Litz wire full conversion to balanced, custom cable in Litz, Dakoni ear pads going through Topping E30 DAC to Singxer SA-1 amp/Sennhieser HD598, Sennhieser GSP 670, Custom Floor Standing Speakers in 5.1, Panasonic amp. Rode NT-USB on Rode boom.

19 minutes ago, Yuma said:

I am dumb

I meant Heatpipe

Again varies

Just buy a 212 evo and call it a day. Cheap and worse fucking amazing. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Again varies

Just buy a 212 evo and call it a day. Cheap and worse fucking amazing. 

Apparently it sucks, there's much better coolers for the price now. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

9 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Apparently it sucks, there's much better coolers for the price now. 

Far from sucks at its tier. 

Hyper 212 is not worth it, period. Cryorig H7 and its equivalents pretty much rendered it out of the competition for most people. It's only worth it if it's selling for super cheap. Otherwise, the new H7 with dual fans is going to be far better.

About the heatpipe amount, it comes down on other factors such as the CPU you're cooling and the fin stack of the heatsink, fans, etc... you can't just say X or Y amount of heatpipe is the sweet spot for every case.

26 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Hyper 212 is not worth it, period. Cryorig H7 and its equivalents pretty much rendered it out of the competition for most people. It's only worth it if it's selling for super cheap. Otherwise, the new H7 with dual fans is going to be far better.

About the heatpipe amount, it comes down on other factors such as the CPU you're cooling and the fin stack of the heatsink, fans, etc... you can't just say X or Y amount of heatpipe is the sweet spot for every case.

Not that I disagree, but can you find a Cryorig H7 in stock anywhere? Out of stock on Amazon and Newegg.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Not that I disagree, but can you find a Cryorig H7 in stock anywhere? Out of stock on Amazon and Newegg.

Haven't checked it in a long time but pretty sure there are still better alternatives like TPC series of CM.

14 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Cryorig H7 is darn good for its price... and low heatpipe count.

Which is well enough for TDPs of average user CPUs.

Also high number of heatpipes needs more fin stack surface area to be actually use of.

Then the further the heatpipe is from center of heatsink base the harder time it has in getting heat from CPU.

Actual silicon chip (called "die") is lot smaller than surface of CPU heat spreader. And most heat gets transferred by heatpipes directly over it.

Especially in "direct touch heatpipe" coolers without base plate spreading heat outermost heatpipes are likely to be only "half employed".

Bigger monolithic chips or MCMs like Threadripper again have lot bigger area producing heat.

1 hour ago, RickH said:

That said, you can't go wrong with Noctua, but some of their coolers are HUGE. Make sure they will fit your computer box!

Normal price of Noctuas tends to be higher than other same performance heatsinks.

And for their high luxury brand price fans bundled with NH-U12P and NH-U12S were acoustically average/crap.

(+ powered by miniaturized vibrating rollers being the worst vibrating fans I've ever touched)

9 minutes ago, EsaT said:

Normal price of Noctuas tends to be higher than other same performance heatsinks.

And for their high luxury brand price fans bundled with NH-U12P and NH-U12S were acoustically average/crap.

(+ powered by miniaturized vibrating rollers being the worst vibrating fans I've ever touched)

Wait what? The NH-U12S comes with an NF-F12.

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Wait what? The NH-U12S comes with an NF-F12.

Completely overhyped fan with restless noise profile.

At least NF-P12 bundled with NH-U12P had overal smooth noise profile except for couple quirks.

And both share piss poor vibration level.

3 minutes ago, EsaT said:

Completely overhyped fan with restless noise profile.

At least NF-P12 bundled with NH-U12P had overal smooth noise profile except for couple quirks.

And both share piss poor vibration level.

{Citation Necessary}

On this topic though, I like the S12A quite a bit. I'm curious as to why it's never talked about.

Agreed the S12A fan is really good when it's installed correctly.