Sharing a large Folder over the internet

WickedStarfish

So i would like to access files that are on my computer when i am not at home like a network drive but one which can be accessed by who ever may have the link even if they are connected to a different network to the host system (this folder is equal to 2.54TB and is forever increasing with new files and video content). the main reason i would like to share this folder is the ability to access design projects when at UNI with the knowledge that when i get home i can continue work on my desktop without the hassle of copying files back across to the main device, it would also give me the ability to share files with others who can than help with the creation or criticism of the files (would like the ability to move them to the other computer if needed)

another thing that i would like is a simple setup to do this (a link to the files that can be clicked on to find rather than a install process) similar to one drive but without the cost for 2+Tb that would be needed where someone receives a link and can the access the files easily

Those two things sound somewhat mutually exclusive, as if you have it open for other people to access they could saturate your upload leaving you will a horrible time trying to access your project files.

The safest way for the project files would be to setup an OpenVPN server on the machine they are on, that way you can VPN in and get normal Windows file sharing access as if you were at home, without the risk of someone cracking your password.

As for other people accessing the files, can you not just have them access over a web server on that box and use basic authentication so only people who you give login details to can access?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7