Proper GPU Storage

Siskofan

So in order to help me focus on school, i ripped the GTX 760 out of my PC and switched to run on Intel Integrated Graphics. I have to do it this way or else I may be too tempted to just reopen the case and plug the power back in, or open the UEFI and switch back to my DGPU over the IGPU.

The problem is, is that in the 3 years since I got the card, I seem to have thrown away all the original packaging, including the anti-static bag and the clamshell it was kept in inside the box. 

All I have left is the outer box. I think at the time I just planned to store my 760 in the packaging my new GPU would come in when I upgraded. With prices being what they are that isn't happening any time soon, so I'm stuck needing to store a GPU with nothing but the outer cardboard box. I really don't want to damage the card as I may need it once I get out of school if prices haven't dropped, but I'm unsure if just the box, and no clamshell or bag will be enough. I know this is an odd request, but I think I'm in an odd situation. Any help would be appreciated. 

Wrap it in a torn up paper bag and then aluminum foil around that. The paper bag is non-conductive and the aluminium will act as a faraday cage. 

Provided that you won't be moving the card around much, you can just place the card in a cardboard box or even place it on paper. The key is to avoid exposing it to conductive materials (like metal) or static-prone materials (like plastic). Anything paper-based is a safe bet. 

FX 9590 5.0GHz | GA-990FXA-UD5 | G. Skill 16GB 2400MHz | RX 560 2GB | Crucial BX100 | EVGA 500W | Cosair Spec Omega Red

Damp and physical knocks and bumps will be a bigger risk than static. But it depends if you hoover while wearing woolly socks and jumpers on a Alpaca skin rug on a carpet placed over a rubber sealed Faraday cage you live in under electric pylons being tested for lightning conductivity...

Gently place it in some box of other random stuff. Then throw that box on top of other boxes and stack them in your basement. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Thanks for the advice guys. I'd rather not put in in the storeroom as my dad may end up flinging it around while he's rearranging so I'll probably stick it in a wooden dresser drawer. It's much less likely to get any physical damage from jostling around in there.

The double wrapping in a paper bag and then aluminum foil sounds OK. I may try that for protection from static.