FPS gains in Overwatch using dual channel RAM

MaartenLTT

Hey guys,

Lately I've been playing Overwatch on my 144Hz monitor a lot. However, my fps fluctuates between 110 and 144, which is annoying in a game requiring good aim since the framedrops make the screen stutter. I'm running a laptop with a GTX 1060 and i7 7700HQ, which should be more than enough to play Overwatch at the lowest settings on 1080p at 144fps. The thing is, in the practice range and smaller gamemodes like 4v4 or FFA, my fps stays at 144 very consistently. 
I've tried everything there is to find about this problem on the internet, except for adding another memory stick to upgrade to dual channel RAM instead of single channel. I can't do this without knowing for sure it will work, since it's quite expensive to buy more RAM.
So, I was wondering if any of you who play Overwatch at 144Hz and have a dual channel memory setup could disable dual channel for a couple minutes and see if it has a large impact on fps. I would very much appreciate the effort. 

EDIT: Specs:

GTX 1060 (laptop)

i7 7700HQ

16 GB 2400Mhz single channel RAM

Windows 10

Overwatch installed on SSD

Laptop: ASUS ROG GL702VMK

1 minute ago, mok said:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=overwatch+single+channel+ram

first video might have some answers for you looks like a solid 20-40fps increase

Yeah I saw that as well. It's just that that's the only video testing this, and seeing as dual channel doesn't have much effect on games most of the time I'd like some more evidence.

i can try it on my Pc with overwatch

BUT i only have 4GB x 2 for a total of 8GB

how much ram do you have right now? single 8gb stick?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Just now, mok said:

i can try it on my Pc

BUT i only have 4GB x 2 for a total of 8GB

how much ram do you have right now? single 8gb stick?

Yeah forgot to add specs earlier, I've updated the post now. I have one 16 GB 2400Mhz stick.

I can assure you even without going to single channel as I cannot be bothered to do that because of the CPU cooler... yes, you will see a significant improvement in FPS stability by going dual channel on the 7700HQ.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

I can assure you even without going to single channel as I cannot be bothered to do that because of the CPU cooler... yes, you will see a significant improvement in FPS stability by going dual channel on the 7700HQ.

Why is that? And is it because of the CPU? Since none of the cores every surpass 40 % usage in-game, I thought my CPU didn't have much of an effect on the game.

4 minutes ago, MaartenLTT said:

Why is that? And is it because of the CPU? Since none of the cores every surpass 40 % usage in-game, I thought my CPU didn't have much of an effect on the game.

At high refresh rates the CPU makes all the difference. You are feeding the CPU with just half of the bandwidth if you dont use dual channel and that is really bad for high refresh rate gaming.