Fake HDR?

NoobiexD

Does the Dell U2718Q actually support HDR? It has a 10bit color dept but the brightness looks pretty low for a HDR monitor. 

49 minutes ago, NoobiexD said:

Does the Dell U2718Q actually support HDR? It has a 10bit color dept but the brightness looks pretty low for a HDR monitor. 

No, it doesn't. It has standard brightness, standard contrast, and standard color gamut. The only actual HDR monitor I know of is the UP2718Q.

• 2 months later...

I've actually just got this monitor and watched some HDR demos and it does a pretty decent job. This is compared to an LG OLED I have seen demos on. I wouldn't purchase this monitor purely for HDR though. You'd be better off with a TV. 

Just FYI this is with HDR enabled on the monitor and in Windows 10

On 10/9/2017 at 3:07 AM, NoobiexD said:

@andrewhawkes

Its not full HDR, its the bare minium that gets you into HDR. 

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/12/12/16767160/vesa-displayhdr-specification-screen-monitor-hdr10-400-600-1000-standard

Looks like there is 3 types of HDR. HDR 400(400 being the monitor brightness) which where the dell monitor falls into.

3 minutes ago, GamesOfThrones said:

@andrewhawkes

Its not full HDR, its the bare minium that gets you into HDR. 

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/12/12/16767160/vesa-displayhdr-specification-screen-monitor-hdr10-400-600-1000-standard

Looks like there is 3 types of HDR. HDR 400(400 being the monitor brightness) which where the dell monitor falls into.

You are replying to a post from 2 months ago about HDR definitions that were just created yesterday.

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

You are replying to a post from 2 months ago about HDR definitions that were just created yesterday.

I just noticed that. I saw the post in the front page so I assumed it was just made oops. Also, do you mind if I pm you. I need a second monitor and I don't feel like making a post about it. 

On 10/9/2017 at 3:07 AM, NoobiexD said:

Only the UP2718Q does True HDR among the Dell Monitors. I do have that monitor and it's amazing(Black Friday Deal). HDR starts at 1000 nits and of course you need DP 1.4 or HDMI 2.0a as well.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon