HDMI to Ethernet lag question

Hybris5112

Not 100% sure if this is the right section but I figured this was better than asking in General Discussion.

Background:

So I work A/V at a major convention center and for a recent event they wanted to watch ESPN on one of the projectors we had flown.

The problem is two fold: The cable run between the projector and the tech table is roughly 120ft so too far for a HDMI cable, normally we would slap on a HDMI to SDI box and run SDI to another converter from which would go HDMI into the projector. This brings up the 2nd issue the tv cable box of course has HDCP so it doesn't like convertors thus our normal setup wouldn't work.

We got what the customer wanted by using the analog outputs of the cable box to make the projector runs which worked for the most part but the picture quality was garbage and looked like a late 80's tv but hey the customer was actually thrilled that we got what they wanted.

Idea/Question:

My idea to improve the situation was to use a HDMI over Ethernet from this converter specifically: https://www.amazon.com/AV-Access-Uncompressed-Lightning-Protection/dp/B01GYL54JK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1505936723&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+over+ethernet+4kex100-l

The unit is claimed to be HDCP 2.2 compliant so that would avoid the issues with the cable box and allow for a long enough 1080p run to give us the ability to project proper image.

However a concern raised by the more experienced techs in my department warn of input/lag issues going this route.

While I don't see that being such a big issue with cable tv so long as it doesn't effect the audio/video sync it could be a issue if we were to use the system with a live video camera and projector setup that we regularly do and the lag becomes noticeable between what's on stage and what is projected.

My googling has only turned up other people saying there is lag but no hard numbers or much of anything beyond what appears to be hear say.

So is there really much if any lag in a HDMI to Ethernet setup?

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

2 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

While I don't see that being such a big issue with cable tv so long as it doesn't effect the audio/video sync it could be a issue if we were to use the system with a live video camera and projector setup that we regularly do and the lag becomes noticeable between what's on stage and what is projected.

As someone who uses HDMI extenders alot for schools and office buildings i have to say that the better brands have almost 0 latency.

Most lengths are around 30 meters. But we have a few that are 100 meters.

Things to keep in mind:

- Only get the good HDMI extenders, you get what you pay for.

- Use Cat6e cable. Its expensive but it will be pretty immune to any kind of interference.

8 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

Not 100% sure if this is the right section but I figured this was better than asking in General Discussion.

Background:

So I work A/V at a major convention center and for a recent event they wanted to watch ESPN on one of the projectors we had flown.

The problem is two fold: The cable run between the projector and the tech table is roughly 120ft so too far for a HDMI cable, normally we would slap on a HDMI to SDI box and run SDI to another converter from which would go HDMI into the projector. This brings up the 2nd issue the tv cable box of course has HDCP so it doesn't like convertors thus our normal setup wouldn't work.

We got what the customer wanted by using the analog outputs of the cable box to make the projector runs which worked for the most part but the picture quality was garbage and looked like a late 80's tv but hey the customer was actually thrilled that we got what they wanted.

Idea/Question:

My idea to improve the situation was to use a HDMI over Ethernet from this converter specifically: https://www.amazon.com/AV-Access-Uncompressed-Lightning-Protection/dp/B01GYL54JK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1505936723&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+over+ethernet+4kex100-l

The unit is claimed to be HDCP 2.2 compliant so that would avoid the issues with the cable box and allow for a long enough 1080p run to give us the ability to project proper image.

However a concern raised by the more experienced techs in my department warn of input/lag issues going this route.

My googling has only turned up other people saying there is lag but no hard numbers or much of anything beyond what appears to be hear say.

So is there really much if any lag in a HDMI to Ethernet setup?

If you're not doing anything interactive like gaming, it doesn't matter how much lag there is. Audio in HDMI is interleaved with the video signal so I doubt they would get out of sync, they're sent together.

1 hour ago, Dujith said:

As someone who uses HDMI extenders alot for schools and office buildings i have to say that the better brands have almost 0 latency.

Most lengths are around 30 meters. But we have a few that are 100 meters.

Things to keep in mind:

- Only get the good HDMI extenders, you get what you pay for.

- Use Cat6e cable. Its expensive but it will be pretty immune to any kind of interference.

Can you perhaps suggest some 100m extenders? Are they HDCP compliant?

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

On mobile atm so hard to look up links.

But we use Satson and they are HDCP compliant. 

One location has a bluray player which plays commercial blurays just fine.

I'll lookup the exact model numbers.