OS to SSD?

dBeatzx

Okay so, when I first built my pc and installed windows I had no idea about partitioning. So, now all of my data is on the same drive as my OS. I want to move my OS to a 120 GB Sandisk SSD, but am not sure how to do so anymore, since all my data and the OS is crammed together in one partition on my C drive. I attempted to isolate it, but only ended up with a mess. I really could use some help from someone with experience. Please and thank you very much! Capture.PNG.5c95356cb313255d4ff253edb79655a1.PNGCapturef.PNG.b3a3229ab6fa38cb4bf12918f1589ba4.PNG  

What i did was reinstalled windows 10 on the drive I wanted, and extracted the files from the disk. this meant I had an OS drive and a drive with my files on it. You shoudn't need another licence key for windows.

6 minutes ago, Hewie said:

What i did was reinstalled windows 10 on the drive I wanted, and extracted the files from the disk. this meant I had an OS drive and a drive with my files on it. You shoudn't need another licence key for windows.

I am kinda new with these type of things so please bare with me.. But, could you please explain how you did this? Like the process you went through?

2 minutes ago, dBeatzx said:

I am kinda new with these type of things so please bare with me.. But, could you please explain how you did this? Like the process you went through?

I made a bootable USB: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

*BACKUP ANY IMPORTANT DATA ON THE SSD BEFORE!!!*

I booted into the usb

I installed windows through the tool, just a matter of clicking next and selecting the drive

that was pretty much it. I cleared out the junk from the old drive and I was sorted. Recommend ensuring you are using a windows account btw

hope that helps : D

4 minutes ago, Hewie said:

I made a bootable USB: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

*BACKUP ANY IMPORTANT DATA ON THE SSD BEFORE!!!*

I booted into the usb

I installed windows through the tool, just a matter of clicking next and selecting the drive

that was pretty much it. I cleared out the junk from the old drive and I was sorted. Recommend ensuring you are using a windows account btw

hope that helps : D

I did make a backup on an external hard drive. Will this do? If so, should I use a larger thumb drive to do this? If that works out and I can make a USB tool, what would I do about the version of windows that is on my computer already? I apologize for asking so many questions, I just want to be thorough 

1 minute ago, dBeatzx said:

I did make a backup on an external hard drive. Will this do? If so, should I use a larger thumb drive to do this? If that works out and I can make a USB tool, what would I do about the version of windows that is on my computer already? I apologize for asking so many questions, I just want to be thorough 

What version of windows are you using? And any 4+gb thumb drive will work. also your backup is fine

Just now, Hewie said:

What version of windows are you using? And any 4+gb thumb drive will work

I am using Windows 10 64 Bit edition

Just now, dBeatzx said:

I am using Windows 10 64 Bit edition

Then the creation tool will work. Make sure the language you choose is the same, and you select the correct version. (home or pro) As long as everything is backed up you should be fine.

Just now, Hewie said:

Then the creation tool will work. Make sure the language you choose is the same, and you select the correct version. (home or pro) As long as everything is backed up you should be fine.

Does it matter where I back it up to? I have a backup I did last night on a external drive when I originally tried to move my OS