Upgrading Z68 motherboard to accept Ivy Bridge CPU's

My brother's got an AsRock Z68 motherboard, the Pro3 Gen3 if i recall correctly.  Since, the two sockets are the same, 1155, is it hard to upgrade the bios so it can accept an Ivy Bridge CPU?  I've heard that you could do this, and I'm wondering the simplicity of it, before he goes off and orders a new CPU. 

~thanks.

My brother's got an AsRock Z68 motherboard, the Pro3 Gen3 if i recall correctly.  Since, the two sockets are the same, 1155, is it hard to upgrade the bios so it can accept an Ivy Bridge CPU?  I've heard that you could do this, and I'm wondering the simplicity of it, before he goes off and orders a new CPU. 

~thanks.

You cannot use Ivybridge CPU on the previous chipset if you do not have a sandy at hand so you can do the BIOS upgrade. Z77 chipset can widely accept Sandy chips

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

some z68 motherboards support ivy bridge 

CPU: i7-4770k @stock  GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780ti OC  MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H  RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro (1600 MHz, 2x8GB)

CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler  Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 2x256gb(OS/Games), 1TB Seagate Barracuda(storage)  PSU: Corsair AX860i

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70

You cannot use Ivybridge CPU on the previous chipset if you do not have a sandy at hand so you can do the BIOS upgrade. Z77 chipset can widely accept Sandy chips

My brother currently has an SB i3 in his system, and is considering upgrading to an i5, and the only ones easily available on the internet are ivy bridge CPU's.  I can just upgrade the BIOS, and the IB i5 will run fine? If so, how difficult would it be to upgrade the bios?

My brother currently has an SB i3 in his system, and is considering upgrading to an i5, and the only ones easily available on the internet are ivy bridge CPU's.  I can just upgrade the BIOS, and the IB i5 will run fine? If so, how difficult would it be to upgrade the bios?

Update the BIOS from the site with the current Sandy bridge. Then implant the IvyB once done and see if it runs. SandyBs are pretty good in terms of gaming still so I might advise you with that.

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Update the BIOS from the site with the current Sandy bridge. Then implant the IvyB once done and see if it runs. SandyBs are pretty good in terms of gaming still so I might advise you with that.

Alright, thanks a lot.  I agree that SB's are still great, I myself am running a 2500k OC'd to 4.0ghz.  My brother's not too much of a gamer, or a power user, however, he's just irking for a stronger PC.  I'd buy another SB i5, but it's not easily avalable (from retailers I would trust).

Alright, thanks a lot.  I agree that SB's are still great, I myself am running a 2500k OC'd to 4.0ghz.  My brother's not too much of a gamer, or a power user, however, he's just irking for a stronger PC.  I'd buy another SB i5, but it's not easily avalable (from retailers I would trust).

Ebay, my friend.

My Maximus IV gene-z z68 mobo got a bios update which allows it to accept ivy bridge cpus back when those were released.