Display scalers?

Techicolors

is it true that different displays have different scalers? if so do they handle upscaling/downscaling differently? 

could the scaler be handled by the GPU side? 

46 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

is it true that different displays have different scalers? if so do they handle upscaling/downscaling differently? 

could the scaler be handled by the GPU side? 

Yes, almost all displays have the ability to scale images if the resolution is lower than the monitor's resolution. Some monitors are better at it than others. On computers, scaling is usually handled by the GPU and is therefore independent of the monitor. You can turn off GPU scaling in your graphics card's control suite but the default is usually to use GPU scaling.

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

Yes, almost all displays have the ability to scale images if the resolution is lower than the monitor's resolution. Some monitors are better at it than others. On computers, scaling is usually handled by the GPU and is therefore independent of the monitor. You can turn off GPU scaling in your graphics card's control suite but the default is usually to use GPU scaling.

how would one know if a display is good at scaling images? is there a trend with good and bad scalers? 

how would a scaler perform if i use something like a ps4, play a game that renders at 1080p on a 1440p monitor? 

16 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

how would one know if a display is good at scaling images? is there a trend with good and bad scalers? 

how would a scaler perform if i use something like a ps4, play a game that renders at 1080p on a 1440p monitor? 

It's not something widely tested (and hard to test beyond just eyeballing it). There isn't a huge amount of variation between monitors, though there is some. I don't know if any particular manufacturer or series has better scaling than others.

Should be fine, scaling isn't really a huge deal for gaming/watching content. The interpolation makes document-size text much harder to read but it doesn't have much effect on images.

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

It's not something widely tested (and hard to test beyond just eyeballing it). There isn't a huge amount of variation between monitors, though there is some. I don't know if any particular manufacturer or series has better scaling than others.

Should be fine, scaling isn't really a huge deal for gaming/watching content. The interpolation makes document-size text much harder to read but it doesn't have much effect on images.

if there is some variation, i think it'll be good to know to test. i don't expect any regular review to do so though, so really knowing the variation would be limited to those who are looking for it. 

i mean, there is some blur going on when you try to run games or watch content that is a mismatch with the native resolution. if one scaler handles it better or worse than another, i think it'll be noteworthy to know. 

or i suppose you can have the GPU do the scaling, which will probably make testing the scaler kinda redundant. in the case for consoles like the ps4 or xbone, would their GPUs handle the scaling and not the TV/display?