Replacing my kraken x62 fans from 140mm to 120mm

Jerped

Hello!

I got a kraken x62 cooler. The radiator is in the front of the case in a pull configuration (radiator->fans->case)

I want to replace the included fans (2x140mm) to put instead corsair hd 120s.   The case can accomodate 3 120mm fans in the front or 2 140mm.   Will I loose a significant enough performance to not do the change?

For the mounting of the rad, I have something in mind already ;)

It would loose a little performance as you are losing 40mm of air flow space... 

But my main question is this...

why?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

13 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

It would loose a little performance as you are losing 40mm of air flow space... 

But my main question is this...

why?

Hahaha for estetics purposes :P

I have the corsair 570x and I had to move the 3 included front fans to put the radiator, so when you look at the front, you see the two black fans, and a hole on top with nothing xD  I would replace the fans for 3 hd120 from corsair, and maybe replace at the same time the 3 other fans included with the case :x

Here is a look at the configuration:

P_20170314_235813_LL.jpg

You would be better off getting new 140mm fans then if you want color. You could get some Corsair ML140 fans. I have 3 in my case and they look amazing. I honestly do not think it would look good or right? if thats the word I am looking for with the setup you are describing. 

Your case looks like it can fit the Kraken just fine top mounted.. why not go with that solution instead?

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

Your case looks like it can fit the Kraken just fine top mounted.. why not go with that solution instead?

Sadly I can't,  my motherboard has a tall heatsink on the VRMs (or the mosfets, xD)   so the radiator won't fit....

1 minute ago, Jerped said:

Sadly I can't,  my motherboard has a tall heatsink on the VRMs (or the mosfets, xD)   so the radiator won't fit....

iS THAT THE strix mobo.It should work just fine

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

iS THAT THE strix mobo.It should work just fine

No, its likely the MSI Gaming 970 he has in his profile for his FX8350 chip. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

I can tell you with 100 percent confidence that it's not that because 1 it has a Led accent and 2 G-skill dosen't have RGB Tridentz in DDR3

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

I can tell you with 100 percent confidence that it's not that because 1 it has a Led accent and 2 G-skill dosen't have RGB Tridentz in DDR3

Haaha  yeeeaaaahhhh  It a Asus rog strix Z270e motherboard with an i7 7700k and 4 8gb gskill rgb.

I built this computer one month ago :D

I didn't change my build in my profile, sorry hahahaha

If you actullay can't fit it at the top then yes I would go with 3 120s though I wouldn't see how you would mount the rad

My life

9 minutes ago, Himommies said:

-snip-

I shall take some pics when I'm back home of the front mounting bracket. I will do some Testing with some fans I have already for the mounting.

Managed to get a picture of the front bracket for the fans :D

P_20170419_130729.thumb.jpg.9c73528a9c652f34738a17976f2ad94c.jpg

As you can see, I will be able to fit the 120mm fans in the middle, and screw the radiator directly with the outer hole.

At the same time, the fan will be positioned in the middle, so I believe I will loose less cooling performance that way. 

@Himommies

@legacy99

I still dont think there should be any reason you to not be able to top mount the radiator...

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

15 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I still dont think there should be any reason you to not be able to top mount the radiator...

As I said, the radiator won't fit because of the tall heatsink near the top of the motherboard. Having a 240mm rad would be ok, but not a 280. It's too wide (or the heatsink is too tall :P )

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought this exact case and cooler. I still haven't received the x62.

Did you manage to set up the radiator behind the 3x stock 120mm fans?

If so how?

It's pretty disappointing to remove the the original fans...

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2017 at 4:10 PM, sluice said:

I have bought this exact case and cooler. I still haven't received the x62.

Did you manage to set up the radiator behind the 3x stock 120mm fans?

If so how?

It's pretty disappointing to remove the the original fans...

Wow didn't get the notification for your reply :/ 

I hope I'm not too late xD

I decided to change completely and ordered a corsair h100i v2. That way I managed to install it in the top.

You can try installing your x62 in the top if it fits, otherwise install it in the front behind te 120mm fans using the included long screws to mount the radiator on the bracket, then use the short screws if you want to use the 140mm fans that came with your cooler behing the rad. 

On 2017-4-18 at 10:59 PM, legacy99 said:

no offense you need your eyes checking

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

11 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

no offense you need your eyes checking

I think he got mixed because I had in my signature my old rig (with the msi gaming 970 / fx8350 and other stuff: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jBcFpb

Just now, Jerped said:

I think he got mixed because I had in my signature my old rig (with the msi gaming 970 / fx8350 and other stuff: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jBcFpb

even then, visual confirmation would definitley confirm its NOT an am3 mobo

unknown.png

the heatsinks are the most obvious

, so is the io shroud,

the m.2 slot, the RGB ram,

and also the cooler mounting is visuallly different

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

3 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

even then, visual confirmation would definitley confirm its NOT an am3 mobo

unknown.png

the heatsinks are the most obvious

, so is the io shroud,

the m.2 slot, the RGB ram,

and also the cooler mounting is visuallly different

Yeah that's what I though too at first glance xD   RGB ddr3? lol!!!!!

With the rad installed in the top it's looking MUCH better :D

Here's the complete setup:

Spoiler

P_20170522_224207_LL.thumb.jpg.7dc1f721a03f63624e9b7c3452aaef27.jpg

3 hours ago, Jerped said:

Yeah that's what I though too at first glance xD   RGB ddr3? lol!!!!!

With the rad installed in the top it's looking MUCH better :D

Here's the complete setup:

Hide contents

P_20170522_224207_LL.thumb.jpg.7dc1f721a03f63624e9b7c3452aaef27.jpg

thatss sooo much better