HELP! New PC Build for Octane Render/Motion Graphics

Hey guys,

I am planning a new build and I am looking to get some feedback/help/guidance to know if I am in the right direction. I've decided to try with AMD Ryzen 1700 because it fits my budget, and the reviews I've seen so far are pretty great.

I am also trying to stay under $2,000 total for the hardware as I still need to buy a desk, chair and other accessories. I will primarily be using this rig for Cinema 4D and Octane Render (GPU render) and plan to add more GPUs in the future. I think this MoBo takes up to 3 GPUs, right?

Other software I will definitely be using is After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop and Premiere. I am a motion graphics artist so you get the idea.

I appreciate any help/guidance if you consider I should get something else for price/performance benefits please let me know.

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 6.55.53 PM.png

Motion Designer and 3D Generalist

My system specs: Ryzen 1700 - G. Skill Flare X 32GB - 2x EVGA 1070 SC - Windows 10 Home

I'd probably go with a single more powerful GPU, like a 1080 or 1080ti. Especially if you're planning on adding more GPU horsepower in the future.

Also, for gaming 29" ultrawide is okay, but the total screen 'real estate' is less than on a traditional 27" 16:9 monitor,  so for any kind of productivity work I'd probably opt for a larger 16:9 display.

Your PSU seems a bit expensive, are you limited to buying parts on Amazon?

Does you mum know you're here?

36 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

I'd probably go with a single more powerful GPU, like a 1080 or 1080ti. Especially if you're planning on adding more GPU horsepower in the future.

Also, for gaming 29" ultrawide is okay, but the total screen 'real estate' is less than on a traditional 27" 16:9 monitor,  so for any kind of productivity work I'd probably opt for a larger 16:9 display.

Your PSU seems a bit expensive, are you limited to buying parts on Amazon?

No, I've checked Newegg and of used PC part picker to quickly check other websites but the difference in prices from Amazon are pennies really. Can you recommend another PSU? I'm all for saving money.

I am also on the fence about the Monitor. I personally prefer dual monitor setup, but here's the thing: I don't want to break the bank, and also the space I have for my workstation at home is very small. I was thinking this 29" Ultra Wide monitor would do the trick. Maybe two 24" monitors is the best way to go?

As for the GPU I could definitely go with a 1080, but the thing is that I've found working with Octane Render is better to have 2 or more GPUs so that you can use at least one of the GPU's at 100% and limit the one driving your monitor to something less. I used to have a single 980 and I often had some problems when rendering. Also, I think I read somewhere that 2 1070s perform better than a single 1080, don't know for sure tho

My system specs: Ryzen 1700 - G. Skill Flare X 32GB - 2x EVGA 1070 SC - Windows 10 Home

19 minutes ago, Meet_Nomad said:

No, I've checked Newegg and of used PC part picker to quickly check other websites but the difference in prices from Amazon are pennies really. Can you recommend another PSU? I'm all for saving money.

I am also on the fence about the Monitor. I personally prefer dual monitor setup, but here's the thing: I don't want to break the bank, and also the space I have for my workstation at home is very small. I was thinking this 29" Ultra Wide monitor would do the trick. Maybe two 24" monitors is the best way to go?

As for the GPU I could definitely go with a 1080, but the thing is that I've found working with Octane Render is better to have 2 or more GPUs so that you can use at least one of the GPU's at 100% and limit the one driving your monitor to something less. I used to have a single 980 and I often had some problems when rendering. Also, I think I read somewhere that 2 1070s perform better than a single 1080, don't know for sure tho

We are talking about the 1080 ti, that has almost 40% more cuda cores over the vanilla 1080 and 85% more than a 1070. Go for the 1080ti, it will be as expensive, but way more silent,  power efficient and you will have the option to add the 2nd gpu in the future

Also there is some suff missing from your picture: storage, do you need it or tou have it already?

Do you want tour build to look good or we can go with something more "mainstream"?

Are you ok to buy windows from kinguin?

Are you ok with big pc or you want to go with something small?

8 minutes ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

Also there is some suff missing from your picture: storage, do you need it or tou have it already?

Do you want tour build to look good or we can go with something more "mainstream"?

Are you ok to buy windows from kinguin?

Are you ok with big pc or you want to go with something small?

I was going over 1080tis options. Yes it is faster and pretty much same price as 2x1070s but there's still the issue of one card for the monitor and the other 100% for Octane. In the future 2x1070s + 1x 1080 ti or Titan sounds more interesting doesn't it?

I am planning my build for it to look good as well, I have the SSD already, I think Mid tower size is fine for me, and I don't know what kinguin is...

I honestly don't know what to do about the GPU. I like the idea of having multiple GPUs, I have 2x 1080tis at work and had 3x1080s before that and being able to prioritize the monitor gpu to low I think really helps with system performance overall.

1 minute ago, Meet_Nomad said:

I was going over 1080tis options. Yes it is faster and pretty much same price as 2x1070s but there's still the issue of one card for the monitor and the other 100% for Octane. In the future 2x1070s + 1x 1080 ti or Titan sounds more interesting doesn't it?

I am planning my build for it to look good as well, I have the SSD already, I think Mid tower size is fine for me, and I don't know what kinguin is...

I honestly don't know what to do about the GPU. I like the idea of having multiple GPUs, I have 2x 1080tis at work and had 3x1080s before that and being able to prioritize the monitor gpu to low I think really helps with system performance overall.

Then i think i would choose for a cheap ass video card ( like a gtx 750 ti) to drive the monitor and the 1080 ti for rendering

3 minutes ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

Then i think i would choose for a cheap ass video card ( like a gtx 750 ti) to drive the monitor and the 1080 ti for rendering

I also thought about that, but there seems to be some stability and compatibility issues when mixing Maxwell and Pascal GPUs with Octane Render...do you use Octane? have you read about this issue?

I also thought about that, but there seems to be some stability and compatibility issues when mixing Maxwell and Pascal GPUs with Octane Render...do you use Octane? have you read about this issue?

I'll  go for a 1050, they cost the same.

I'm  sorry but i dont use octane

2 minutes ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

I'll  go for a 1050, they cost the same.

I'm  sorry but i dont use octane

I'll do some research on this, thank you!

Can you tell me about kinguin and what you were talking about Windows? I would love to same some money wherever possible

I'll do some research on this, thank you!

Can you tell me about kinguin and what you were talking about Windows? I would love to same some money wherever possible

On kinguin you can buy a windows key for 25$, then you download the windows  ISO from the microsoft page to a usb driver and so you have a bootable windows pen, you are doing the same work that microsoft was doing for you, but you save 80$

5 minutes ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

On kinguin you can buy a windows key for 25$, then you download the windows  ISO from the microsoft page to a usb driver and so you have a bootable windows pen, you are doing the same work that microsoft was doing for you, but you save 80$

Well, that's great! I didn't know you could do that. Thank you! i'll definitely look into that.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jvYdcc
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jvYdcc/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($319.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($148.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($412.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 Video Card  ($719.99 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Rosewill 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor  ($328.98 @ NCIX US) 
Other: Zotac gtx 1050 ($99.00)
Other: Windows 10 ($25.00)
Total: $2209.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-09 23:17 EDT-0400

Now, if you need a monitor ( and so to save 200$ from my build) you can halve the ram from 64 to 32 gbs, even if imo for video editing and work in general you should throw  as much ran as possible.

If you  don't  need a monitor, save those money, or put thosa 120$ towards:

A better case ( corsair crystal x460 at 130$)

A nice cracken x52 ( also 130$)

12 minutes ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jvYdcc
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jvYdcc/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($319.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($148.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($412.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 Video Card  ($719.99 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Rosewill 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor  ($328.98 @ NCIX US) 
Other: Zotac gtx 1050 ($99.00)
Other: Windows 10 ($25.00)
Total: $2209.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-09 23:17 EDT-0400

Now, if you need a monitor ( and so to save 200$ from my build) you can halve the ram from 64 to 32 gbs, even if imo for video editing and work in general you should throw  as much ran as possible.

If you  don't  need a monitor, save those money, or put thosa 120$ towards:

A better case ( corsair crystal x460 at 130$)

A nice cracken x52 ( also 130$)

Wow! thank you so much for your thorough help, I really appreciate it.

Bummer that the MoBo is white. I am going for an all black looking build, but it's definitely a possibility! As for the case I am honestly just in love with the NZXT s340 elite with that tempered glass and all black look. And for the GPUs I would like to have all EVGA because of that LED that looks amazing. 

I have 32GB of RAM at work and I do some heavy motion graphics and 3D work and I have not felt the need for more, so I would do just 32GB.

The Ryzen comes with a cooler that looks very good and has some very good reviews. I do love the NZXT Kraken tho and plan to buy it in the future.

But I get it, your build is way more price/performance oriented and I will definitely consider it.

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2017 at 4:12 AM, Flavio hc 16 said:

hi there,

Is Kinguin legit? AKA is it legal? The website looks a bit dodgy

On 5/22/2017 at 9:04 AM, vlb6 said:

hi there,

Is Kinguin legit? AKA is it legal? The website looks a bit dodgy

hey man, I didn't end up buying from Kinguin. People advised against it and honestly I don't think saving money towards finding issues later on with the license is worth it. I would just buy Windows normally. I ended up buying a bootable usb windows from amazon

On 5/23/2017 at 7:17 PM, Meet_Nomad said:

hey man, I didn't end up buying from Kinguin. People advised against it and honestly I don't think saving money towards finding issues later on with the license is worth it. I would just buy Windows normally. I ended up buying a bootable usb windows from amazon

thanks for the reply!

ah right, so is the 'bootable usb Windows' actually legit from Windows? 
it sounds just as dodgy lol

On 5/25/2017 at 11:16 AM, vlb6 said:

thanks for the reply!

ah right, so is the 'bootable usb Windows' actually legit from Windows? 
it sounds just as dodgy lol

yes it is from Windows https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Flash-Drive/dp/B01019T6O0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496016616&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+10+usb+64+bit