Razer Blade Stealth vs XPS 13 vs Surface Pro 4

Hi. I've been trying to compare the three laptops and can't decide. There's also not much comparisons between these two. 

Trying to choose between Razer blade stealth (i7 skylake with 8gb ram and 128 gb) vs Dell XPS 13 (i5 kaby lake or sky lake, 8gb model) and Surface pro 4 (i5 skylake, 8gb model).

I'm mainly choosing between the razer (for its good hardware) vs the dell (for the battery life and decent hardware). Any advise. I'm trying to take everything into consideration, I'll be using this mainly for productivity and school. So battery life is kinda important, but is it worth giving it up for that skylake i7-7200u?

P.S. If you think Dell is better, should I choose kaby lake (940 usd) or skylake (855usd). Is the price difference worth it?

Thanks!!

Had the same predicament a few weeks ago. I ended up buying the Blade Stealth and loving it, mostly. I like the keyboard, the form factor, screen color, and other minor things over the XPS 13. I returned it to Amazon within three days due to coil whine and bad thermal issues - the CPU would constantly approach 100C while simply doing updates or installing programs. Then the coil whine came in a day later and that was the last straw for me.

My friend has an XPS 13 but the screen wasn't as good as I was hoping, so I ended up going to BestBuy and looking at what they had. I noticed they had the Surface Pro 4 on sale for a little bit, so I ended up asking an employee about buying one with a keyboard and MX Anywhere mouse. They ended up knocking even more money off, so I basically got the Surface Pro 4 with an i7 and 256 GB of storage for $1,100. Plus the keyboard and mouse, then tax, it came close to $1,500. Basically what I paid for the Stealth, minus the heat and coil whine. I don't have regrets about it.

I would say either XPS 13 or Surface Pro 4. Blade Stealth have a lot of thermal issues from what I read.

Between XPS 13 and Surface Pro 4 it's a matter of wanting a more classic PC over a tablet/2 in 1 combo

[Insert smart comment here]

4 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Had the same predicament a few weeks ago. I ended up buying the Blade Stealth and loving it, mostly. I like the keyboard, the form factor, screen color, and other minor things over the XPS 13. I returned it to Amazon within three days due to coil whine and bad thermal issues - the CPU would constantly approach 100C while simply doing updates or installing programs. Then the coil whine came in a day later and that was the last straw for me.

My friend has an XPS 13 but the screen wasn't as good as I was hoping, so I ended up going to BestBuy and looking at what they had. I noticed they had the Surface Pro 4 on sale for a little bit, so I ended up asking an employee about buying one with a keyboard and MX Anywhere mouse. They ended up knocking even more money off, so I basically got the Surface Pro 4 with an i7 and 256 GB of storage for $1,100. Plus the keyboard and mouse, then tax, it came close to $1,500. Basically what I paid for the Stealth, minus the heat and coil whine. I don't have regrets about it.

And ya, my friend has been getting issues with the XPS hinge, and I heard about the coil whine being a huge problem. Thanks

Right, I see, but what about the battery life of the Razer. Because that's my main concern, my friend has the skylake model and he only has a few tabs open in chrome, apprently  it only lasts 4 - 5 hours, which is quite short. Waddu think??

Btw, DAMN that surface pro 4 is cheap, the one that I can afford is the one with i5, which costs 1000usd. but damn 1100 for i7, that steal.

1 hour ago, jldjul said:

I would say either XPS 13 or Surface Pro 4. Blade Stealth have a lot of thermal issues from what I read.

Between XPS 13 and Surface Pro 4 it's a matter of wanting a more classic PC over a tablet/2 in 1 combo

Right, I see, I'll read more about the blade stealth, cos it does seem that the i7 models of skylake do cpu throttle quite a bit in ultrabooks.

If i was to choose between XPS or surface, gotta be XPS. Thanks a lot!

Just now, roshho said:

And ya, my friend has been getting issues with the XPS hinge, and I heard about the coil whine being a huge problem. Thanks

Right, I see, but what about the battery life of the Razer. Because that's my main concern, my friend has the skylake model and he only has a few tabs open in chrome, apprently  it only lasts 4 - 5 hours, which is quite short. Waddu think??

Btw, DAMN that surface pro 4 is cheap, the one that I can afford is the one with i5, which costs 1000usd. but damn 1100 for i7, that steal.

I didn't have the Stealth long enough to judge the battery life since I don't like judging battery life for just a day or two of use. I will say though I only charged it once when I got it and didn't have to charge it again. I still wouldn't buy it though. If you can go into BestBuy and get an SP4 you should see what they can do for you.