oc voltage help

I'm overclocking my 6700k. I got it to 4.5 ghz at stock voltage what is a healthy voltage to push that won't kill my i7 or z170 mobo 

I've seen a few people on here say 1.35v is the highest if you plan to run it all the time.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

It's not really the voltage directly but the temperature u want to keep an eye on, obviously the higher the voltage the higher the temperature, but that all depends on your cooling. Most people recommend keeping it under 80°C. 

Just now, BuzzSaw86 said:

It's not really the voltage directly but the temperature u want to keep an eye on, obviously the higher the voltage the higher the temperature, but that all depends on your cooling. Most people recommend keeping it under 80°C. 

i'm in the low 70s at idle above 110 at load

1 minute ago, BuzzSaw86 said:

That's not true at all. If you push the voltage too high then even with a well cooled system it is going to croak.

I just fried a processor because the motherboard was pushing more voltage through it than I was aware, the temps never exceeded 70*C.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

°C or °F, because 110 °C  is brutally high, in fact I would have thought the PC would have just shut down itself at that. As I said should be under 80°C under load.

°C or °F, because 110 °C  is brutally high, in fact I would have thought the PC would have just shut down itself at that. As I said should be under 80°C under load.

so i'm seeing a aio cooler as my upgrade 

7 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

That's not true at all. If you push the voltage too high then even with a well cooled system it is going to croak.

I just fried a processor because the motherboard was pushing more voltage through it than I was aware, the temps never exceeded 70*C.

Really, never heard of that before. How'd that happen?

6 minutes ago, masterkickass7 said:

Why? What you trying to cool it with?

10 minutes ago, masterkickass7 said:

If you are trying to OC on a stock cooler that is always ill-advised. Assuming you haven't already damaged the chip with heat then I would pull it back. I'm pretty sure that you are using Fahrenheit though as your measurement.

An AIO is not needed for high overclocks, a decent air cooler can get you the same results (or close to it) without any issue.

To answer your original question, You should not exceed 1.35V on the Skylake platform otherwise the chips lifespan will begin to drop off exponentially. If you want to push the limits then you can try for 1.4V but beyond that physical damage will occur to the silicon.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Why? What you trying to cool it with?

Having never used a high end platform for overclocking, I was unaware that a +0.1V offset that I told the motherboard to supply was applied for every 100MHz that the chip was overclocked. At 4.8GHz the Xeon was receiving 1.57V. I pulled the voltage back to 1.38 in the BIOS but the next day one of the cores quit. Now I'm left with a quad core instead of a hexacore.

3 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Having never used a high end platform for overclocking, I was unaware that a +0.1V offset that I told the motherboard to supply was applied for every 100MHz that the chip was overclocked. At 4.8GHz the Xeon was receiving 1.57V. I pulled the voltage back to 1.38 in the BIOS but the next day one of the cores quit. Now I'm left with a quad core instead of a hexacore.

I'm on a cryorig h7

1 minute ago, masterkickass7 said:

I'm on a cryorig h7

That is a good cooler, I don't see any problems.

Push your voltage to 1.35 and see if you can take your OC any higher. If not then just put the voltage back at stock. Sometimes a chip will just hit a wall and stop and it would take an unrealistic amount of voltage to push past it. Skylake CPUs are also not known for overclocking past 4.6 on a regular basis. That's just the way the architecture works.

2 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

That is a good cooler, I don't see any problems.

Push your voltage to 1.35 and see if you can take your OC any higher. If not then just put the voltage back at stock. Sometimes a chip will just hit a wall and stop and it would take an unrealistic amount of voltage to push past it. Skylake CPUs are also not known for overclocking past 4.6 on a regular basis. That's just the way the architecture works.

hit 4.7 stopped there 

1 minute ago, masterkickass7 said:

hit 4.7 stopped there 

Have you done a stress test yet? One thing I've found is that a processor is not always stable even if it passes a stress test.

I had one processor that passed a stress test at 4.5 but failed once I started playing GTA. This is a consistent trend that I've noticed. Several CPUs have failed an overclock with GTA but were otherwise 100% stable.

If it truly is stable at 4.7 then you have one of the better Skylake i7s.

18 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Lol. Brutal. I did mean within reason though. Somewhere between 1.35 / 1.4 if the Temps are grand. I ran a 2700k at 4.6 Ghz and 1.38v under 80°C for the guts of 5 years without any bother.

2 minutes ago, BuzzSaw86 said:

Lol. Brutal. I did mean within reason though. Somewhere between 1.35 / 1.4 if the Temps are grand. I ran a 2700k at 4.6 Ghz and 1.38v under 80°C for the guts of 5 years without any bother.

I thought you were telling him to just feed the CPU whatever he had to to get his OC stable.

I am getting a higher cinabench score at 4.6ghz then 4.7ghz

21 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

I thought you were telling him to just feed the CPU whatever he had to to get his OC stable.

Sorry, didn't mean it like that, I meant within the realms of common sense.

9 minutes ago, masterkickass7 said:

Possibly thermal throttling.

10 minutes ago, masterkickass7 said:

Cinebench isn't perfect, even at the same speeds I sometimes get very wild results. Do you have anything running in the background? I usually let the computer sit for a minute or to so that all the startup processes are finished and run it with nothing open. Just having a web browser open can cause up to a 100 point hit.

5 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Just out of interest, do you not run something like cpu-z in windows to see your real time figures or do you just assume, because that's just stupid 

CPU-z was saying that it was only 1.366V but CPUID HWmonitor was the one reading 1.57. I have verified that the sensors work correctly for CPUID because I manually measured the voltage with a volt meter and it is within 5%.