Can't overclock AMD GPU on Windows 10.

urexyvca

On Windows 8.1, I was able to use MSI Afterburner to overclock AMD Radeon HD 7650M on my laptop, it's really easy, all I have to do is enable unofficial overclocking mode in MSI Afterburner properties and I could adjust the slider beyond the default 500 MHz. On Windows 10, after I enable that, the slider just locks and doesn't let me adjust the clock speed. Any ideas what could be preventing this on Windows 10?

(I know I shouldn't overclock a laptop however, if I could do it in 8.1, I want to do it in 10.)

LkkOj6C.png

Have you seen this thread aswell?

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/3gaa72/cant_overclock_after_upgrading_to_windows_10_amd/

People seem to be claiming its a Windows 10 and Afterburner intercompatibility issue with these cards, and others have suggested different overclocking programs like Trixx and funnily even Evga Precision X.

Have you already tried the obvious, reinstall the gpu's latest drivers, reinstall afterburner? Also, have you tried to reset Windows 10 settings on the recovery menu?

Groomlake Authority

Windows 10 Installation on my laptop is like 2 hours old. I just installed everything. So reinstalling programs and drivers make no sense.

The thing is, I remember getting it working once a year ago but I can't remember how.

I have also seen that reddit thread and...

I avoid using any other program but I guess I'll try them.

Unless software is the problem, the last resort place would be the BIOS, but i dont think theres a setting that prevents GPU overclocking all together in any motherboard interface for that matter. Sorry if i couldnt help anymore than that. Given how Nvidia enabled and disabled consequentially theyr maxwell gpu's overclocking in the past, this could be a similar limitator from AMD? Maybe an older GPU driver? But i dont thats viable for anyone in the end, considering the bugs and crashes it could lead to.

Groomlake Authority

I posted here to see if anyone here had the same issue and knew a simple solution. Looks like I'll have to do experimenting and try a lot of different things. I'll post results if I get lucky.

Thats the old afterburner, try the new one (the red one).

Or use a different overclocking tool like Sapphire Trixx or AMD overdrive (AMD settings app, does not allow for overvolting).

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

So, when changing clock speeds, the screen should go black for a second normally, however when I disable unofficial overclocking and try underclocking, it doesn't do anything, it doesn't go black, it doesn't change the frequency. So... It looks like MSI afterburner can't really do anything, maybe the system or driver is blocking something. I also tried that evga overclocking utility as well but it didn't even run, it gives me a "No supported hardware detected!" message.

3 hours ago, mathijs727 said:

Thats the old afterburner, try the new one (the red one).

Or use a different overclocking tool like Sapphire Trixx or AMD overdrive (AMD settings app, does not allow for overvolting).

Overdrive doesn't work on laptops afaik, the afterburner isn't old, while it's not latest, it's not outdated. And I actually tried latest version and it still doesn't work. And also "the red one", it's just a skin.

One thing I suspected was that it might be running on a driver from Windows Update because Windows 10 likes to screw with us and install drivers without asking us, (though I did install driver from AMD's site but I bet windows overwrote it or something.) so I used a DDU to uninstall it, disable auto installation again and installed fresh drivers. I also tried both beta crimson and latest stable drivers but both failed to offer an overclock. One thing I also tried was 8.1's drivers but they didn't work with Windows 10 so I gave up. I also tried changing some registry things but no luck.

Now, considering that latest beta crimson drivers did allow overclock in 8.1 and the installer is the same file for both 8.1 and 10 unlike the older stable drivers, I bet Windows 10 it self is blocking the overclock with something.

Not sure what to do now...