Overclocking r9 390.

Ghost0625

What's a safe and stable over clock for the msi r9 390? I'm using afterburner to do my adjustments. Right now I have a 1200 MHZ core clock from the stock 1040. I wano to say a +50 my on the voltage l. And memory is set at 1650 from the stock speed of 1500. I got about a 10 fps increase on Valley on the extreme preset. Can I get a little more. A little scared to push it more. 

Damm, 1200 is really nice. Push it further if thermals are okay, you won't hurt your chip with the stock bios.

2 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Damm, 1200 is really nice. Push it further if thermals are okay, you won't hurt your chip with the stock bios.

1200 is the average OC. I'd say go for 1250

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I can't push mine any further without getting artifacts or the drivers crashing. 

There is almost no risk to pushing a card to it's limits, just back off from them when hitting that point. 

4 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

1200 is the average OC. I'd say go for 1250

Don't know If I'd go as far as to say 1200 is average. 

Just now, Alexokan said:

Don't know If I'd go as far as to say 1200 is average. 

Check HW bot - last month the average OC was 1194. Now it's 1170.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Check HW bot - last month the average OC was 1194. Now it's 1170.

Thanks, so I'm right. 

lol.

1 minute ago, Alexokan said:

Thanks, so I'm right. 

lol.

The averages fluctuate but 1150-1200 is generally what most 390s hit and some go above

If you didn't mod the bios, then you can go as far as the bios allows you to

The manufacturer bios already puts limits on what voltage and clock you can go to, aka what they think are safe

Of course, the thermal situation has to be right, ie. watercooled/ good air cooler

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

4 minutes ago, MilfShake said:

If you didn't mod the bios, then you can go as far as the bios allows you to

The manufacturer bios already puts limits on what voltage and clock you can go to, aka what they think are safe

Of course, the thermal situation has to be right, ie. watercooled/ good air cooler

I'm in a 60 F room. So thermals are usually not usually issue for me. I still only had the fans at about 40% with afterburner controlling them while running the benchmark. And no. The bios has not be messed with. Don't even know how to do that. Probably a good thing because id mess something up. 

7 minutes ago, Ghost0625 said:

I'm in a 60 F room. So thermals are usually not usually issue for me. I still only had the fans at about 40% with afterburner controlling them while running the benchmark. And no. The bios has not be messed with. Don't even know how to do that. Probably a good thing because id mess something up. 

Just to put it out there, ambient temp has very little to do with cooling/thermal situation inside your case. It's all dependant on the performance of your fan/ water block. Try setting higher fan curve or something if temps go too high when overclock.

You cannot kill your card by setting too high clock speed, the screen will just went black or your system will freeze, but the card will not be killed; however, your card can be killed by overheat.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

5 hours ago, MilfShake said:

Just to put it out there, ambient temp has very little to do with cooling/thermal situation inside your case. It's all dependant on the performance of your fan/ water block. Try setting higher fan curve or something if temps go too high when overclock.

You cannot kill your card by setting too high clock speed, the screen will just went black or your system will freeze, but the card will not be killed; however, your card can be killed by overheat.

well im running an air cooled system. I notice a huge difference in temps between the computer running in my bedroom vs the computer running in the basement, hence why the pc is down there. i can understand if its liquid cooled it may not matter as much. but i notice a huge temp difference.