Plex Port Fowarding on Residential Network

Johnzzz

After watching Linus's plex media server video, I automatically created one and set up everything with all the sleek covers of tv shows and movies so I can stream it directly to my phone and watch it in bed. Now this worked as long as I am on the network that is in my residential campus dorm. So I watched Linus's video again and heard him say that only simple port forwarding allows remote access anywhere, so I found a tutorial on youtube to set everything up and found out that I needed to go on the website of my router, which is unavailable to me since I'm no admin of the network used by the entirety of my university. I called up the support number and told them "hey, can you designate port 32400 to my ip address so I can remote access my plex media server", they said that they were unable to do this due to that it might mess with other people on campus and etc. So I now ask you guys if there is a way around this (other than just teamviewer stream lol)

The only two ways it will work is using UPnP or using port forwarding. UPnP would have been automatic if they have it enabled. I'm not surprised they won't do port forwarding to you. The only thing you can do is ask them to enable UPnP on their network.

Source: I work for an ISP that primarily services college student apartment complexes, with ~100,000 served residents. I am Tier II tech support and help Network Engineering design, implement, and maintain our networks.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: