Remote sensible data management security

Thanzex

Hi everyone! My family owns a few hotels, today i noticed that my cousin was controlling their central server, which contains all the data of our clients, through a browser to enter new reserveations and so on.
I know that both my cousin and my uncle ( which manage the hotel ) aren't very tech savy, so i was a little bit concerned about the security of all the data. 
I still don't know what they're using to manage everything, i'll go to take a look at it in the next days.
What are the best practices for this kind of situation?
What should the security measures be?

9 minutes ago, Thanzex said:

Hi everyone! My family owns a few hotels, today i noticed that my cousin was controlling their central server, which contains all the data of our clients, through a browser to enter new reserveations and so on.
I know that both my cousin and my uncle ( which manage the hotel ) aren't very tech savy, so i was a little bit concerned about the security of all the data. 
I still don't know what they're using to manage everything, i'll go to take a look at it in the next days.
What are the best practices for this kind of situation?
What should the security measures be?

Realistically, if you don't know what to look for then maybe you might not be the best person for it?

As for security measures, it's all the simple stuff;

- Is it internal / external

- HTTPS / HTTP?

- Regular password changes (if they have accounts and if not, make some)

- Encryption (if any)

- Regular backups

- Security software (AV / Firewall etc)

That's all I got at the top of my head and that should be enough to start investigating with. 

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |