Installing Windows after HDD failure

sterlingr

Hello, I recently had my main drive completely fail itself and after no chance of data recovery, got it replaced. My user folder was fully backed up on another computer, but now I am faced with reinstalling Windows.

When I first built my computer I purchased an OEM license of Win 7, which I have since upgraded to Win 10. If I reinstall Windows 10 from a flash drive, will is recognize my mobo and not need a key or do I need to go try and hunt down where my key is written down (I have no idea if I still have it)? Thank you so much!

As long as you install Windows to the motherboard that you registered your OEM license to, it will detect the key, and you will be fine.

It'll need a key. You're gonna have to find the key.

As long as you install Windows to the motherboard that you registered your OEM license to, it will detect the key, and you will be fine.

Hmm... Maybe I'm wrong, but I've not had luck with that.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

It'll need a key. You're gonna have to find the key.

Hmm... Maybe I'm wrong, but I've not had luck with that.

With Windows 7, you would have to phone in to Microsoft to re-activate your key, but I believe with Windows 10 it will detect it no problem.

With Windows 7, you would have to phone in to Microsoft to re-activate your key, but I believe with Windows 10 it will detect it no problem.

That explains it considering that I'm having such a problem with Windows 10...

Luckily none of my laptops with Windows 10 have crapped out on me.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

So as long as I do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the machine (again, which I upgraded to Windows 10) I should be good?

So as long as I do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the machine (again, which I upgraded to Windows 10) I should be good?

Likely, but you still do want to be cautious. Is it possible to clone the previous image, or is the entire OS dead? 

Likely, but you still do want to be cautious. Is it possible to clone the previous image, or is the entire OS dead?

Nope... Completely dead