What language to start with for beginner?

Padunkadunk

I want to start learning programming and I'm wondering what you all started with in the beginning and why? Thanks!

HTML or Java.

I learnt from small little widgets and fixes on a Runescape Private Server with Java.

It was easy enough.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

javascript at codeacademy.org

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

HTML or Java.

I learnt from small little widgets and fixes on a Runescape Private Server with Java.

It was easy enough.

Java, cuz OOP is the first thing we learn in college.

javascript at codeacademy.org

If I wanted to eventually transition into C, is that doable given your recommendations?

If I wanted to eventually transition into C, is that doable given your recommendations?

That's the next language we learn in college (at least mine), is currently the one im learning. And the transition is pretty harsh from my point of view.

What I did was make a "mini function dictionary" to start, something like this:

Java                                          C

System.out.println(""); ==  printf("\n")N

I struggled trying to find equivalents between each of them, but that's about it.

That's the next language we learn in college (at least mine), is currently the one im learning. And the transition is pretty harsh from my point of view.

What I did was make a "mini function dictionary" to start something like:

Java                                          C

System.out.println(""); ==  printf("\n")N

I struggled trying to find equivalents between each of them, but that's about it.

What do you think would make the transition easier? Or is it just a steep curve because you're new to it?

What do you think would make the transition easier? Or is it just a steep curve because you're new to it?

I had 1 year learning Java, and another one learning C. I think what would make the transition easier would be to learn concepts first, rather than the language itself. Cuz if you have solid concepts then you would only be struggling like me, just searching equivalents. But I think programming is less about the language, and more about concepts.

For example, at the beginning of my C language course, I was like. Hey, I know how to do this in Java. I would do it on Java, and then try to translate it to C. But, yeah it takes time to get used to it.

I think having solid concepts would make the transition much MUCH easier than learning every single thing about the language.

I had 1 year learning Java, and another one learning C. I think what would make the transition easier would be to learn concepts first, rather than the language itself. Cuz if you have solid concepts then you would only be struggling like me, just searching equivalents. But I think programming is less about the language, and more about concepts.

For example, at the beginning of my C language course, I was like. Hey, I know how to do this in Java. I would do it on Java, and then try to translate it to C. But, yeah it takes time to get used to it.

I think having solid concepts would make the transition much MUCH easier than learning every single thing about the language.

I appreciate your insight  :)

Java is a solid choice, HTML is not a language.

Going from Java to C (or C++ in my case, more or less) is tough because you have to manage memory yourself, but I never had any real issues with it...

What do you want to do with code? you need to ask your self this question and depending of what your answer is, you can get a better guide for what to do. :)

my expirence with programming is limeted, but i know for sure that if i want to do anything at all on the web it is java and php(html), but is it games it is C and C++ (there is things you still cant make in C++, so C is a nessery thing), and last is it small simple programs python is the way to go ;) but C and C++ is also a way to go for simple programs :)

this is all in my understading of the diffrent languages i´ve heard and gotten a bit of education in, but hey we all have diffrent favorite´s   ;)     

Whatever OOP language. Whether it is Java, C# or something else does not matter. What matters is that you learn proper OOP principles as they will be key to creating maintainable and well separated code.

What do you want to do with code? you need to ask your self this question and depending of what your answer is, you can get a better guide for what to do. :)

my expirence with programming is limeted, but i know for sure that if i want to do anything at all on the web it is java and php(html), but is it games it is C and C++ (there is things you still cant make in C++, so C is a nessery thing), and last is it small simple programs python is the way to go ;) but C and C++ is also a way to go for simple programs :)

this is all in my understading of the diffrent languages i´ve heard and gotten a bit of education in, but hey we all have diffrent favorite´s   ;)     

I'm interested in creating software and programs. I don't have too much interest in creating things for the web.

I'm interested in creating software and programs. I don't have too much interest in creating things for the web.

then i encouage you to do what you are doing already :) 

take the advice that was left for you! 

Whatever OOP language. Whether it is Java, C# or something else does not matter. What matters is that you learn proper OOP principles as they will be key to creating maintainable and well separated code.

can not be said any more clear ;)  

I started with visual basic, I think this is great.

• Allows you to just straight into the .net framework
  • Extremely simple syntax, while maintaining normal programming principles. 
  • Easy to move to lower level languages such as c#

With that said, i think that visual basic is a ​beginner language and i would not recommend it as you progress into higher level programming. 

Start with C (or other procedural language), never start with an OOP language. I teach software dev, trust me I know what I'm talking about. 
OOP should be the second language you learn (Java is a personal preference)... from there, you are free to choose your path.... start exploring web dev, mobile dev, databases ....

PS: HTML is not a programming language.... but it's a good place to start (even before C) cause it teacher you how code writing works (syntax)

If you plan on coding C in the future you shouldn't start with something like Java or C# since they OO and they have automagic memory management. It would be much better just to start with C in that case. But before you chose your language think about what it is you want to create, what type of software... some languages are better suited for certain type of applications.

http://www.java2s.com/ great place for basic tutorials and example code its not only for Java

And if you are running windows grab the Community edition of Visual Studio http://www.visualstudio.com/ or Eclipse if you are planning of giving Java a try https://eclipse.org/