will 2 140 fans work as good as 3 120 fans

Karl96

i have an nzxt h440 and wanted to replace the front fans with 2 140 noctua nf-a15 from noctua  for intake and do the same on the top as exhaust well that work as well or must i use 3 120 fans . Pls i really need help.

three (good) 120's can push more air, but two 140's will be better for silence

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

i have an nzxt h440 and wanted to replace the front fans with 2 140 noctua nf-a15 from noctua  for intake and do the same on the top as exhaust well that work as well or must i use 3 120 fans . Pls i really need help.

The 140mm fans will be quieter and not affect temps compared to 3x 120mm fans at all.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Depends on the fans, for example 3x 120mm Rosewill Hyperborea's will not move more air than 2x 140mm versions. But they will be quieter.

Different fan combinations will yield different results.

With the 2x NF-A15's you'll be moving about the same amount of air. Not worth the money IMO.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

3x120s will move more air at the cost of noise and power. buts its not like you will see any real difference in temps

A 120mm fan will have more static pressure than a 140mm fan. You'll want to take advantage of that, especially in a case like the h440

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Definitely 3x120 mm fans if you want "better" temp, but it's not like you are gonna notice it anyway. However, I think you should be more concerned about creating positive airflow inside your case because we're talking Noctua fans here and we all know how silent it will perform. Without any fans installed at the top exhausting air, you should be good to go whether you want 2x140 mm fans or 3x120 mm fans as front intake. But should you wish to put maybe a dual rad on top or just fans for exhaust, 3x120mm fans will definitely help you creating a positive airflow inside the case since they move more air than the 2x140mm fans do and I also suggest you flip the fan at the back of the case so it becomes an intake and also put something like silverstone magnetic fan filter on it. Temp wise, you probably won't notice whether you flipped the back fan or not, but flipping the back fan will ensure that your case has a positive airflow and prevent dust building up inside because I don't know how many HDDs or SSDs installed in your case that can potentially restrict the airflow from the front intakes.

"Yippie-ki-yay motherf**ker!"  ~John McClane

Definitely 3x120 mm fans if you want "better" temp, but it's not like you are gonna notice it anyway. However, I think you should be more concerned about creating positive airflow inside your case because we're talking Noctua fans here and we all know how silent it will perform. Without any fans installed at the top exhausting air, you should be good to go whether you want 2x140 mm fans or 3x120 mm fans as front intake. But should you wish to put maybe a dual rad on top or just fans for exhaust, 3x120mm fans will definitely help you creating a positive airflow inside the case since they move more air than the 2x140mm fans do and I also suggest you flip the fan at the back of the case so it becomes an intake and also put something like silverstone magnetic fan filter on it. Temp wise, you probably won't notice whether you flipped the back fan or not, but flipping the back fan will ensure that your case has a positive airflow and prevent dust building up inside because I don't know how many HDDs or SSDs installed in your case that can potentially restrict the airflow from the front intakes.

thanks for the help man  but i only have on hdd mounted so i will remove the rest of the cages so the air will blow directly into the case without obstruction. And i also heard that negative flow is good 

thanks for the help man  but i only have on hdd mounted so i will remove the rest of the cages so the air will blow directly into the case without obstruction. And i also heard that negative flow is good 

Well honestly, based on my personal experience, I can't think of any scenario where negative airflow is better than positive airflow. All I know is that negative airflow only makes dust build up quicker, and positive airflow (given that you have filtered intakes) will prevent, or at least decrease the possibility of dust entering the case because your case will be blowing air out. But it's all your decision, I'm just giving you my opinion based on my experience, and I'm glad I could help. :)

"Yippie-ki-yay motherf**ker!"  ~John McClane