CPU Question 3770k vs 3750k - Hyperthreading or not?

Laksen

Hey guys,

I'm helping my mate build his new PC and in the build thread, 2 or 3 guys are arguing that hyperthreading is not worth the money.

How is this not the case? Is it due to the fact that the 3750k is good enough for now, and it would be cheaper to upgrade to another platform in the future. Or is it because that you would not have little to none advantage of the 3770k without doing video editing.

Thx in advance :-)

CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 (Corsair H60 with a Noctua NF-F12 Fan) - Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3 (rev. 1.4) - RAM:  4 GB kingston, and 8 GB kingston hyperx blu @ 1333 MHz - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660ti OC edition SSD: 256 GB Plextor MP5-Pro - Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DGX - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363d - Case: Cooler Master elite 430 black -  Cooled by 2 Noctua NF-S12A Fans      Peripherals:ACER B243PWLAymdr IPS Panel - 1920*1200 - ACER S222HQL LCD Panel - 1920*1080 - Corsair M45 on a XFX Warpad - Typing on a Ducky Shine 2 Cherry MX Brown - Green LED - Racing with my Logitech G27 Racing wheel - other games Logitech F710

For a gaming rig it makes no sense to go with the 3770k, Hyperthreading will be worth it only on heavy threaded applications.

Get the 3570k and with the money you save put it in the GPU. It will give you more performance per $ than the 3770k would in a gaming scenario.

The GPU will already be a 7970 OC 3 GB - but thx, I will pass that on :-)

CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 (Corsair H60 with a Noctua NF-F12 Fan) - Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3 (rev. 1.4) - RAM:  4 GB kingston, and 8 GB kingston hyperx blu @ 1333 MHz - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660ti OC edition SSD: 256 GB Plextor MP5-Pro - Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DGX - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363d - Case: Cooler Master elite 430 black -  Cooled by 2 Noctua NF-S12A Fans      Peripherals:ACER B243PWLAymdr IPS Panel - 1920*1200 - ACER S222HQL LCD Panel - 1920*1080 - Corsair M45 on a XFX Warpad - Typing on a Ducky Shine 2 Cherry MX Brown - Green LED - Racing with my Logitech G27 Racing wheel - other games Logitech F710

as people already said, for gaming it will be the same.

If you have the spare cash tho, go for the i7.

That spare cash could be spent on a SSD or a larger capacity SSD.

That spare cash will be better spent anywhere else.

You get like one frame performance increase.

That $100 can be better spent on an h100i, which can overclock your 3570K higher to get much better performance than the 3770K with a stock cooler, for example.

You get like one frame performance increase.

That $100 can be better spent on an h100i, which can overclock your 3570K higher to get much better performance than the 3770K with a stock cooler, for example.

Very good suggestion.

The h100i is already in the budget

The 3570k is a great chip for gaming, things of that nature, etc. The 3770k with get its full potential used with CPU heavy applications(video editing for example). both will overclock will great with the h100i. if your friend is dead set on the 3770k, then go for it if that is what he wants, but if he is open for suggestions, and since he is going to use for gaming and streaming, get the 3570k and a SSD. I know he could get a SSD later, but i wouldn't recommend that. Thats what i did, and i regretted as soon I got to re-installing windows on my SSD, aswell as a my fav games. its just a big hassle that i would've rather not dealt with

I not trying to be/sound biased(sorry if I am), and most of the people on the forums*(including myself) are just stating our opinions and trying to help the best we can.

*there are some people on the forums that are just strait-up jerk-offs, so i don't include them

Please post your current parts list .also tell us what he is going to do with his computer so we can suggest which to choose and what the extra money can be spent on!!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

If he's just gaming, he won't be utilizing the full potential of a 3770k so why buy something you won't use. If gaming is his most intensive application, a 3570k will be fine.

If he's just gaming, he won't be utilizing the full potential of a 3770k so why buy something you won't use. If gaming is his most intensive application, a 3570k will be fine.
dchen12 has a very strong point, you may aswell save!?

• 2 weeks later...

I would only recommend the 3770k if you live near a Micro Center since the price difference between the 3570k and 3770k is $30. If you don't, the 3570k will be good enough :).

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

Question is, What is the computer going to be used for?

3570k if goal is just gaming.

Rendering, Photo/Video Editing goal is 3770k. I have 3770k, I do video editing and play games. Works very well. I also got it from Futureshop for $272 before tax :) .

Im sorry but it really bugs me when people say you can spend the money on a larger SSD. If you plan on using a 256GB SSD then from what i can see you wont get a 512GB SSD for an extra $100. You can even struggle going from 128 to 256 for $100. This is nothing major but please check what they plan to use to begin with before a suggestion like this as depending on what they already plan to use then an upgrade may not be possible for $100. This is based on USD not CAD prices. CAD prices then 128 to 256 is much more likely to be achieved.

hey, what difference does it make for video capture using fraps and video rendering?