Asus Z97-A reducing GPU performance.

I have this weird issue, when I turn on the PC the GPU (GTX  680) works horrible with very low FPS in all games and benchmarks, once I restart the PC it works OK and my performance is back to normal, I suspect something on the mobo is causing the issue, I didn´t have this problem with my old X58 mobo.

My system specs are the following:

Platform:
Windows 8 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (3398MHz) x4
GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 9.18.13.3788 (2048MB) x1
Ram:
16 GB DDR3 1333 mhz overclocked to 1600 mhz

Any ideas?

The GPU wasn´t doing that before the upgrade, I flashed a new firmware and it stills the same.

The GPU wasn´t doing that before the upgrade, I flashed a new firmware and it stills the same.

I would try checking your startup programs to see if there are any applications affecting the GPU performance when cold booting.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Checked all the startup programs and is not related to them since once I reboot it loads the same programs, I logged the performance before and after the restart using GPU Z and couldn't find anything that could let me spot what the issue was.

I tested with other video card and it seems that is not affected by the issue, need to check the 680 on the other mobo,  I think there's some weird issue with the mobo firmware and the UEFI of the 680.

• 2 years later...

permanent solution. 

1st method:
I have the same system. z97-a and 4790k.   This board have this issue and solution is to change bios setting to "asus optimal" mode. It overclocks the cpu a little bit. if you have a good  fan did it. 

2nd method:

Bios - Advanced menu - systme agent configuration - NB PCI configuration. Change Slot-1 setting to GEN2. only%3 perfonmance you will see but not recognize.  This motherboard doesn't allow GPU to run at full speed with AUTO or GEN3 enabled on slot-1 for some reason.

3rd. method

Making your overclok manually.

the key here is to overclock first core aboce stock speed. So if you have 4790k(4.4 stock speed) You can make first core 4.5ghz and leave others at 4.4ghz. and make myour vcore 1.200v, this setting will propably solve your issue.

4th solution.

use you GPU on 2nd pci  slot. I didnt try it but they say it works. What ı reccomnend is to make asus optimal if you have a good fan and dont know how to overclok.