Dual Monitor - How to connect

Juliogol

Hi guys!

Got a question, maybe it's a dumb one but I'm kinda noobie on the dual monitor thingy... :P

I own a korean 2560x1440 monitor, connected via Dual Link DVI. I'm planning to get a second display, a 1080p 144hz one for gaming. My question is how would I connect the two monitors if they both need a Dual Link DVI connection to work properly?

I have a R9 280x crossfire setup, and each card, while has two DVI inputs, only one is Dual Link.... Can I connect each monitor to one card? Or how should I do it?

Thanks in advance!!!

Knowledge don't take space. Don't know something? Just ask nicely!

What refresh rate is the 2560x1440 monitor running at? You could move it to the single-link DVI connector and stick the 1080p 144Hz monitor into the dual-link interface.

Tag me @WinNut or quote me for more assistance.

What is the best cable to connect a monitor at the moment? Is it displayport?

Computer: MacBookPro, Imac, PC to be build this year (2014)

Camera: Nikon D90, D200, D800, D7100 (Facebook: http://paradisethroughalens.blogspot.be)

Consoles: PS1, PS2, PS3 

Aren't both the DVI connectors on the 280X dual link? I don't see why they'd bother have one single and one dual. 

According to what I found, the XFX R9 280x that I Have, only has one Dual Link, and one Single Link

What refresh rate is the 2560x1440 monitor running at? You could move it to the single-link DVI connector and stick the 1080p 144Hz monitor into the dual-link interface.

Tag me @WinNut or quote me for more assistance.

The 1440p monitor is running at 60hz. But if I move it to the single link, would I still be able to get 2560x1440 resolution?

According to what I found, the XFX R9 280x that I Have, only has one Dual Link, and one Single Link

Have you tried using the supposedly single link port with the monitor to see if it actually supports 1440P? It seems very strange to only have one dual link DVI port on such a recent card. 

What is the best cable to connect a monitor at the moment? Is it displayport?

In terms of what it supports, yes. I prefer DVI for the locking connectors though. 

Have you tried using the supposedly single link port with the monitor to see if it actually supports 1440P? It seems very strange to only have one dual link DVI port on such a recent card. 

Yup... screen stays black so I guess it does not support it. reading the specifications of the card it says it has a HDMI 1.4 connector that supports up to 4K resolution. But does HDMI only support 1080p or am I wrong? :S

Yup... screen stays black so I guess it does not support it. reading the specifications of the card it says it has a HDMI 1.4 connector that supports up to 4K resolution. But does HDMI only support 1080p or am I wrong? :S

HDMI supports 4k, but only at 30Hz. I'm not sure if you have to connect all monitors to one card with AMD. Might be able to just use the second DVI port on the other card. 

In terms of what it supports, yes. I prefer DVI for the locking connectors though. 

I'm building a new rig soon and buying a monitor with display port so it would be best to connect it with a display port.

Computer: MacBookPro, Imac, PC to be build this year (2014)

Camera: Nikon D90, D200, D800, D7100 (Facebook: http://paradisethroughalens.blogspot.be)

Consoles: PS1, PS2, PS3