Dell Laptop not booting, charge indicator is on

Shadow7212

I have a Dell Inspiron 13 2n1 that had a bad motherboard so I replaced it but it still won't turn on. The charge led turns on but when I push the power button the charge led turns off for a few seconds then back on. I've tried reseating all connections, I've tried resetting the cmos, I've tried replacing the cmos battery, I've also tried just one stick of RAM and no boot drive, it just doesn't do anything and there is no fan spin either.

Did you buy the replacement motherboard from an official Dell spare parts provider or from a site such as Ebay?  Even with buying from the source there's a chance of bad parts.  With Ebay or electronics resellers, that chance goes way up.  I replaced a motherboard on a Dell laptop just recently and it took two replacements before I got a good board.

Just now, PineyCreek said:

Did you buy the replacement motherboard from an official Dell spare parts provider or from a site such as Ebay?  Even with buying from the source there's a chance of bad parts.  With Ebay or electronics resellers, that chance goes way up.  I replaced a motherboard on a Dell laptop just recently and it took two replacements before I got a good board.

I did get it from eBay, and it's true I can't verify if it's working, because all I have is a previously bad board, but the last one had an obvious short with this one I can't tell what could be going on.

I had a similar problem with lenovo laptops. Disassemble the laptop, and remove the screen ribbon cable.Then, use a external monitor. The most likely chances are that your laptop has a broken screen ribbon cable, and is shorting out the motherboard.

Reminder 

The IIA rule applies here:

I'm mostly speaking from experience so what I say may not work

I may be a complete asshole in some threads but I swear that I won't lie

Anyways, I am always glad to help