pmu memory training error x570 Aorus Master

Hey everyone,

So I built a new PC recently, everything was working fine for a few weeks. Today there was an update to the AMD Adrenalin software showing so I hit install. It froze while installing and then the PC crashed and rebooted. After that during the POST there was a message that said pmu memory training error at socket 0 channel 1 and when the PC booted into windows the ram was running way below spec despite XMP being enabled. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

Motherboard: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master

RAM: 32 gb (2x 16gb) G.Skill Trident Z Neo

BIOS version F11

I tried taking 1 stick out and just booting with one in b2 and it wouldn't post, I tried the other stick in b2 and still wouldn't post. Error code was c5. I tried switching to the secondary bios, still c5. It wouldn't post with 1 stick no matter what slot they were in. It will boot fine with 2 sticks in a1/b1 or a2/b2 but the ram is not using the xmp and is running like 15/15/15 at 1000mhz. Also it doesn't give the post error about pmu when they're in a1/b1 (though it's possible I just can't see it because the monitor doesn't always kick in quick enough to see the post)

I'm at a loss, no idea why it happened, why it won't boot with 1 stick, any help would be very much appreciated. 

Any time you move ram to different slots, you need to clear cmos.

Slot A1 is for single stick, single channel. 

For dual channel and 2 sticks, use slots A2 and B2.

Your memory specs are needed for someone to help. 

I usually ask for the part number.

Screen shot of Cpu-z memory and SPD tab.

And screen shots of Bios SPD tab.

These all asked for to be sure the system matches all the specs in windows to bios to the part number.

Also it helps when I'm curious what the motherboard posts at stock 2133mhz (Jedec #?)

What I suggest you try

• Clear cmos
  • first post set XMP
  • Set Memory XMP timings manually
  • Set memory voltage manually.
  • After setting up XMP, manually adjust memory speed lower than XMP.
  • Be sure Infinity Fabric is half of memory speed ie: mem 3000mhz IF 1500mhz.

Hope this helps.

Hey ShrimpBrime,

Thanks for your response. You're right, I forgot to clear the cmos when I swapped the sticks to different slots, so that will be my first step.I'm on a different computer at the moment so I can't get the screenshots for you right now but the part number for the memory is F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC (G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory). I tried to set the timings manually (it's my first time ever manually doing the timings) by following Hardware Unboxed's video guide but after getting in to the bios there was too many things that didn't match up with the information from the DRAM calculator so I didn't go through with it to avoid screwing it up more. I'll need to get cpu-z when I'm able to get back to that PC to update with those screenshots, I think I only have cpuid and hwinfo on there currently. 

Thanks again, I've got somewhere to start now

Ok, ShrimpBrime,

I'm getting concerned now. So, here's what I did. I cleared the cmos, first post set the XMP, booted into windows, it all looked fine and I thought oh ok that fixed it. I downloaded cpu-z to take the screenshots for you, and put the case back together. About a minute later it shut down, rebooted, and then froze at the windows logo. So I rebooted and went into the bios and the settings were all crazy.

The BIOS said the CPU was at 4268.46Mhz at 1.008v (I never overclocked or touched any settings for the CPU) and the memory was at 4043.80Mhz at 1.38v. I quickly loaded the optimized defaults and rebooted and went back into the BIOS and the CPU was at 3.814Mhz at 1.068v and the memory was at 2141Mhz at 1.224v. I don't know why the CPU overclocked and why the memory went even higher by itself. I'm adding the cpu-z screenshots you asked for - the combined one is what it looked like after I cleared the cmos and set the xmp and thought it was fine. The second one is what it looked like after it crashed and booted back up. Also, the first time I used cpu-z when it looked fine on the SPD tab it was showing the memory in slots 2/4 (which they are) after it crashed when I went back into cpu-z to get the new screenshot, none of the information changed except it was showing the memory in slots 1/2 instead of 2/4 which it showed empty.

What is going on?

cpuz.png

Screenshot (3).png

OK no you did fine, just a little misunderstanding going on!

So the Cpu will boost even when in bios. The SenseMi technology is on factory default, that's why you get all the boosting at various speeds.

The 3800mhz (cpu) was probably a P-state and the 4275 (4268) x.75 multi with bus droop (normal) was a boost state. Perfectly fine and that's good to see. Performance comes from raw speed first both cpu and memory.

Now, that out of the way. 

Let's concentrate on the windows hang and restart issue.

Next time around, loading XMP as you did,

you want to this time manually increase memory voltage to 1.400v

Set CpuSoc voltage to 1.08v 

PowerDown mode = Disabled. (this prevent volt throttle on idle system)

Let me know if XMP has better stability. 

"you want to this time manually increase memory voltage to 1.400v" is that the "DRAM Voltage (CH A/B)"? That's set to "Auto" in the first colum and "1.200V" in the second one, I can change the "Auto" to "1.400V" but not the "1.200V" in the second column. And I'm having trouble finding CpuSoc to change to 1.08v - I see "VCORE SOC" which is set to "Auto" and "1.200v" is that it? Also is "PowerDown Mode" the same as "Gear Down Mode"? 

• 4 months later...

Hi all, I just wanted to share me success with following all of the information this thread.

My issue was that my brand new Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master Mother board was not recognising the ram is specific slots.

I tried all of the following as a process of elimination:

1. I have 4 ram modules and swapped them each to different slots to see if the BIOS recognised them. (This showed all ram modules were recognised but there was a specific ram slot that was not recognising any ram even in the correct multi-channel configuration)
  2. All ram and graphics card was re-seated multiple times - no luck
  3. Cleared the CMOS
  4. Used the Qflash plus Method of upgrading the BIOS (this was required initially in order for most of the components to be recognised) but still no change.
  5. Checked the CPU/ motherboard to make sure there were no bent pins. (all pins were perfect and nothing looked to be out of place)
What worked in the end was removing the RAM, Graphics card, and CPU from the motherboard and then using the Qflash Plus method which involves using a USB with the updated BIOS files (correctly re-named GIGABYTE.bin) and flashing the board . The Gigabyte manual states you can only update the main BIOS without the CPU in the board and it seems that this was the solution as all RAM and other devices are now recognised and running perfectly.

Just be aware all of the different boards have a slightly different setup for activating the Qflash plus BIOS update. I would recommend following the steps set-out in your motherboard User Manual.

Hope this helps people that had the same issue as me.

Cheers,
J