Maximum RAM Speed Supported By Ryzen 7 3700X

Hello,

I've read that the Ryzen 7 3700X has "ddr 3200" support" (see Amazon description), and though I had also seen the same on PC Part Picker, I couldn't locate it to reference here. Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't that mean the highest supported RAM speed is 3200? If so, why would some people recommend DDR4-3600, for example, if it's a) not supported or b) isn't used to it's maximum potential since up to 3200 is supported?

Theoretically it will support any DDR4 up to the highest available, assuming the board also supports it in UEFI.

3600 is the recommended speed because at 3600 the RAM and infinity fabric of the CPU are at a 1:2 ratio which means they're running in sync (Infinity Fabric runs at 1800Mhz default and 1800 x 2 is 3600).

In real world performance it will make very little difference what speed you're RAM runs at tbh.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

No, you can definitely go above 3200Mhz, with infinity fabric overclocked so that it doesn't leave the 1:2 ratio 'Master Disaster' mentioned 3800 is actually ideal, but that doesn't mean you can't go beyond that it just runs worse. Since such high speed low latency kits can cost more then some of the Ryzen 3000 processors themselves, and OCing isn't everybodies cup of tea, your best bet for plug and play is just looking through motherboards QVL, and going with with anything thats about 3000-3600 speed with lowest latency you can find for the $

Do you think it's decent to run DDR4-3200 or spend the extra cash to hit at least 3600? Not sure how large the return is for purchasing higher speed RAM.

Other suggestions welcome, but these two were at a similar price point with almost exactly the same timings:

GSkill TridentZ 16GB DDR4-3200: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4n648d/gskill-tridentz-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-16gtzkw

GSkill RipJawsV 16GB DDR4-3600: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jBZzK8/gskill-ripjaws-v-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16d-16gvkc

For good out of box performance likely the 3600 kit then, for only $10 extra bucks should be better bet seeing as timings are very similar. 

15 minutes ago, chowbaaron said:

Do you think it's decent to run DDR4-3200 or spend the extra cash to hit at least 3600?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard: B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

Good thing you posted this thread, I'm choosing parts for a 3700X as well and had the carbon in mind. However, I've wanted to run 3600 memory but on the product page it says the carbon only supports up to 3466 MHz.. So I looked at my other pick, the Strix B450-E (really want that intel lan) but that one too only shows up as max 3466. The tomahawk board from msi has the same number, but the MAX variant shows a much higher number.

Do these boards even support 3600 memory? I don't know much about this but I read somewhere that the boards can support higher speeds with the new Ryzen 3000-series even if they are only rated for 3466 MHz. Is this true?

17 minutes ago, Jokuc said:

Good thing you posted this thread, I'm choosing parts for a 3700X as well and had the carbon in mind. However, I've wanted to run 3600 memory but on the product page it says the carbon only supports up to 3466 MHz.. So I looked at my other pick, the Strix B450-E (really want that intel lan) but that one too only shows up as max 3466. The tomahawk board from msi has the same number, but the MAX variant shows a much higher number.

Do these boards even support 3600 memory? I don't know much about this but I read somewhere that the boards can support higher speeds with the new Ryzen 3000-series even if they are only rated for 3466 MHz. Is this true?

Those boards definitely support high speed ram, Check the official 'QVL' not whats listed on amazon/new egg product pages

image.png.6fdad3d6b120729823e5eed1eee9f5bc.png

For MSI B450 Carbon AC
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#support-mem-19

For ROG STRIX B450-E GAMING
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_QVL/

Etc, it should be listed for any board somewhere under the "Support" tab, at motherboards official homepage.  Worst case i've seen was having to use Ryzen 2000 QVL for some ASRock boards because ASRock still hadn't updated(created) their QVL for ryzen 3000 on certain boards even though they were selling them shipped with updated bios for ryzen 3000.  Problem here isn't that say a ASRock b450m Pro 4 won't support 3600+ memory on Ryzen 3000, its just a gamble figuring out what ram will work if its not on the QVL. 

image.png.a9cfd733cf1a30f29ab8e02b373e3ceb.png
Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't, but if its on the QVL you are good to go

1 hour ago, Otto_iii said:

Those boards definitely support high speed ram, Check the official 'QVL' not whats listed on amazon/new egg product pages

For MSI B450 Carbon AC
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#support-mem-19

For ROG STRIX B450-E GAMING
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_QVL/

I was actually looking at the specification page on the official website, but I guess they just haven't bothered to update it. The 2x16GB 3600 MHz [F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC] I've been looking at aren't listed in the qvl. They only list a bunch of 8gb sticks with CL18 from G.Skill... does this mean that it's probably not going to work? Or do you think it'll work and they just didn't test it?

Sorry OP for going slightly off-topic ?

I'd say no guarantee, its Hynix which isn't a bad thing but given its not on QVL hard to say?  I'd hope it could given its advertising, but a very similar Samsung b-die variant of Trident-Z RGB is on the MSI boards QVL, and currently about 50$ cheaper in America atleast (i dont know your region), slightly different timing and way more likely to overclock (tighten up timings) easily using the fanmade 'ryzen memory calculator' as samsung b-die support is so vast there. 

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232483
For the MSI board that is atleast what i'd recommend

For the Asus board there is this, which again is Samsung but lacks the RGB if thats important to you
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232306

The Hynix variant you listed very well could work, but unless you can find somebody on say pcpartpicker etc with a build on the motherboard you want using it, there sadly isn't a good way for me to know.  Im not a expert on ram compatability though, i just play it by the book
zAAAiPJ.png

if you are going for MSI board though, i think reasonably speaking the first one i linked should be perfect given what you linked before, performance and aesthetic wise

1 hour ago, Jokuc said:

I was actually looking at the specification page on the official website, but I guess they just haven't bothered to update it. The 2x16GB 3600 MHz [F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC] I've been looking at aren't listed in the qvl. They only list a bunch of 8gb sticks with CL18 from G.Skill... does this mean that it's probably not going to work? Or do you think it'll work and they just didn't test it?

Sorry OP for going slightly off-topic ?

Don't worry about it! Maybe you'll answer someone's same question if they're also researching this topic ?