Same machine, two windows10, WOL works in one but not in the other (same settings)

nclabs

Hi guys, I'm new around here. I looked everywhere but I didn't find anything about this topic so I thought it could be a good question for LTT community. I have a new machine with dual boot configuration (both windows10) in the "main" os I did the configuration for the Wake On Lan successfully but I did the same in the second os, but it doesn't work! So, if I turn off my main system the WOL works, if I turn off the second os the WOL doesn't work! What I'm missing here? Does it even make sense?

2 minutes ago, nclabs said:

Hi guys, I'm new around here. I looked everywhere but I didn't find anything about this topic so I thought it could be a good question for LTT community. I have a new machine with dual boot configuration (both windows10) in the "main" os I did the configuration for the Wake On Lan successfully but I did the same in the second os, but it doesn't work! So, if I turn off my main system the WOL works, if I turn off the second os the WOL doesn't work! What I'm missing here? Does it even make sense?

Its impossible, unless you make virtual "OS" you can use virtual box to create virtual machines, dual boot its probably is that if you motherboard configuration crashes/fails on first bios chip to boot it boots from second bios chip and this is common feature, but not dual boot.

CPU: Intel I7-8700K | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz 2x8GB | GPU: Asus ROG 1080Ti OC | PSU: Seasonic Prime 650W Titanium | SSD: 1x Samsung Evo 970 250GB M2 1x Samsung Evo 970 1TB M2 | CPU COOLER: Noctua D15

I'm no expert, but, because it's the same machine, I assume, it's only one network cable, and one power cable right? So if you're trying to WOL the machine, it would only pick up the primary OS? Because the machine is just getting the signal to boot? I think that makes sense.

Current PC

CPUIntel Core i9 9900k

GPUGTX 1080 8GB FTW EVGA

MotherboardASUS PRIME Z370-A II

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz

Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Storage 2: Hyper X 240GB

PSU: Corsair RM750 80 Plus Gold 750W

Peripherals: Logitech G502 Hero//Corsair K70 MK 2 Cherry MX Red

Display: BenQ XL2430T 24-inch 144Hz

13 minutes ago, Ardu said:

I'm no expert, but, because it's the same machine, I assume, it's only one network cable, and one power cable right? So if you're trying to WOL the machine, it would only pick up the primary OS? Because the machine is just getting the signal to boot? I think that makes sense.

Try server motherboards which can have 2-4 physical cpus and multiple ethernet connections with dual data exchange, but this is not a case, problem with dual os in one machine is that first os uses whole machine cpu,chipset, rams, ethernet, wifi, gpu, hdds/ssd, you cant split in half your machine since it would make one or other os corrupt since cpu has to handle to diffrent task from each os and all went to hell, to have multiple os on one machine do like servers do create "main os" which will controll machine then create on main os virtual machines which shares resources(cpu, gpu,ram,hdd, internet) alocated by your "main" os. And thats it.

CPU: Intel I7-8700K | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz 2x8GB | GPU: Asus ROG 1080Ti OC | PSU: Seasonic Prime 650W Titanium | SSD: 1x Samsung Evo 970 250GB M2 1x Samsung Evo 970 1TB M2 | CPU COOLER: Noctua D15

Thank you for the reply, but I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. There is no virtual machines in my system, only two (actually a lot more) discs with different Windows. I set up the BIOS and the properties of each windows correctly but the wake on lan works only when I shut down the OS#1. It seems that when I shut down OS#2, the network card goes in a state that is unwakable, and I runned out of ideas.

Wake On Lan doesn't wake up a specific OS, it wakes up a physical machine itself. There isn't a way, that I'm aware of, that would choose the second OS from the boot selection screen

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Again, I'm struggling to make myself clear. Maybe a short premise is needed. WOL it's a way to hit the power button of my PC by remote. Once it's pressed, the automatic choice goes to the main one, and that's the way I want it. But the WOL features is enabled by both the BIOS setting AND the OS settings. For some reason this feature work only when I shut off the main OS and not the other one. I don't want to boot the second OS, I'm not using VMs, I just want to remotely press the power button regardless of which OS ran before the shotdown. Is there someone with some advices about that? Thanks.