Ping spikes

91Chris

Hi. I get very bad ping spikes on my network.

If I ping my router or my main switch I see lag spikes and in really bad situations I drop a packet.

I know the cause but I don't know why it is happening...

My server runs something which connects and sends requests to lots of other servers. Turning this off "fixes" the issue.

I am no expert but it seems like there are too many packets for my network to handle?

My router is a Apple Airport Extreme 5th and the switch is a Dell PowerConnect 5324

Any experts know how I can find the reason why this happens?

My server runs Ubuntu.

Cheers,

Chris

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

We'd kinda need to know which "something" you disable which stops the problem because this is definitely not typical.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

15 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

We'd kinda need to know which "something" you disable which stops the problem because this is definitely not typical.

Hi. Its an OSCam server I run. I connect to lots of proxies. I didn't mention it because I doubt anyone would know what it is. Basically it tries to establish a connection to a bunch of servers constantly. Seems like something is getting overloaded on my network.

Something I found strange is that the ping to my switch ,which my PC is directly plugged into, is slightly higher than the ping to my router, which is connected through the switch. I wonder if my network is miss configured? I can believe the router getting overloaded, but not the switch, surely?

Cheers

Edit: Never mind, this explains the higher ping response of the switch vs the router https://superuser.com/questions/1165871/why-the-ping-reply-time-from-switch-is-higher-than-that-from-devices-on-it Seems like a none issue.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.