Single Status Update
So I finally got my card in from the Chinese eBay boat. Excitedly I popped it in my test server to try it out before taking down my main machine. So far it has just been plug and play... add a card, it shows up in ESXI. Well....not this time. After installing the card and booting ESXI it would show up in available devices but would not show up in physical NICs. I could even pass the damn thing through to a VM and even PFsense picked it up and would use it no problem...so I knew we had a driver issue... Well after bashing my head against the wall trying to find out how to get the stupid Intel 10Gb card to show up in ESXI I finally found a driver that will work. Anyone that is having a hell of a time getting an Intel X540 or (especially) the X550 10Gb card working properly in ESXI 6.5, I'm going to save you some time...
Driver found here...
File manager I used found here...
SSH client I used found here...
Here is how to install it...
- Extract the .zip file of the driver. You'll either install the .vib driver or update it using the zip offline bundle. (use the offline bundle if you're using an OEM version of ESXI)
- Open ESXI web interface or go to your server and enable SSH (on server it is found in troubleshooting)
Open WinSCP and log into your server by tying your server's address in host name (red), login user (root) and password (blue), then click login (black)
- Once inside WinSCP, copy the .vib file or the update offline bundle zip file in the tmp directory by just dragging from your downloads folder and dropping it into WinSCP.
- Now open Putty and type your server IP address in host name
- Inside Putty type the user (root), enter, then your password
- Verify the file is in the tmp directory by typing... ls /tmp
- Then install the driver by typing... esxcli software vib install -v /tmp/net-ixgbe_4.5.1-1OEM.600.0.0.2494585.vib
- Or install the update by typing... esxcli software vib update -d /tmp/ixgbe-4.5.1-2494585-offline_bundle-5197765.zip
- That's it, you're done! Now you just need to reboot the host and setup your card.
A bit of a disclaimer, I did NOT use the offline bundle so I can't vouch for if it works or not.