I have dislodged the ring in my audio port.

Alpha17x
Go to solution Solved by Naeaes,

Oh, man. That's gonna be a pain to fix. :/ It's embedded below the cover and it's bigger than it's base. Off the top of my head, I'd say secure the ring on the end of a match, put some superglue on it and stick it in. Hold it in place while it sets. Definitely don't solder it.

Hey guys,

I have a laptop and I managed to dislodge the ring at the front of the audio jack. The plastic ring that sits on the very front of the jack. Other than that part it's actually fine overall. But because that part is no longer on there properly the connection won't stay in place properly most of the time.

I've never fixed this before but I'm assuming its as simple as replacing the ring so that the end of the audio cable will sit in properly.

On google I've done searches for 'audio jack security ring' or 'audio port plastic ring' but I just find resodering guides.  I'm fairly sure I don't need to re-soder.  Looking for any tips you guys might have.

Right now I'm using a usb soundcard but I'd like to fix that audio jack.  I'm not afraid to do any repair work necessary.

snip

Post us a photo, and perhaps a bit of superglue applied properly might help.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Oh, man. That's gonna be a pain to fix. :/ It's embedded below the cover and it's bigger than it's base. Off the top of my head, I'd say secure the ring on the end of a match, put some superglue on it and stick it in. Hold it in place while it sets. Definitely don't solder it.

Oh man. I think I understand why people are usually told to just get a new sound i/o board.  I might end up doing that, It doesn't look too difficult with my laptop. just a lot of screws to even get to it.