Used 256GB 840 Pro for $70 worth it?

Crimson Dog
Go to solution Solved by Kobathor,

I'm still not sure if i can get away with no-warranty 250GB 850 Evo for ~$83 with "15" days of usage (supposedly) which is bugging me since it's not that much of a leap, just 50% more for double storage and better quality, but 80$ is pretty much the ceiling for me, since any more than that means i'm living on bread and water for a while, to exaggerate a bit :D

I'd get a new SSD so that you get a warranty. If you have to spend $79 for it, it's still worth it. Maybe you could save up a bit more so you're comfortably affording buying a new one?

According to the ad, a little over a year old, price is ~$70. 

http://www.njuskalo.hr/ssd-disk/samsung-ssd-256gb-pro-oglas-17075246

A new one, for comparison, is ~$195.

Alternatively there's a 250GB 850 Evo for ~$83 that has supposedly only worked for 15 or so days.

http://www.njuskalo.hr/ssd-disk/samsung-ssd-250gb-850-evo-oglas-17306328

The cheapest ~250GB SSD i can get new is a little over $80 and that's from like Silicon Power and Patriot, so not really reputable manufacturers.

are these used ones too sketchy or should i take the dive?

Or just give up on the Samsungs and get a (second hand but new and packaged) $50 120GB V300 with it's most likely asynchronous nand?

What do you think?

And yes i do realize this question is a mess, my apologies.

Desktop: AMD x4 860k | Kingston 2x 4GB 1333MHz Sapphire Radeon 280x VaporX DualX

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5741G held together by crushed hopes and dreams

Tablet: Chuwi Hi10 | Intel Atom x5-Z8300 | 4GB RAM

850 EVO are for the most part the same as the 840 PRO. I'd wait for a sale on them, I got my 250GB 850 EVO that I'm using right now for $75 USD on Amazon, brand new.

I used to be quite active here.

850 EVO are for the most part the same as the 840 PRO. I'd wait for a sale on them, I got my 250GB 850 EVO that I'm using right now for $75 USD on Amazon, brand new.

Hmm haven't even looked at new 850 Evos. They seem to go around the tune of $100 for 250GB. hmmmm

How much better, and in what way, are they from Kingston V300/HyperX Fury of same/similar capacity?

Desktop: AMD x4 860k | Kingston 2x 4GB 1333MHz Sapphire Radeon 280x VaporX DualX

Hmm haven't even looked at new 850 Evos. They seem to go around the tune of $100 for 250GB. hmmmm

How much better, and in what way, are they from Kingston V300/HyperX Fury of same/similar capacity?

I would stay away from Kingston V300s for a while, since retailers are still selling the old, crappy ones. Kingston HyperX FURY SSD's are a great choice if you're on a bit of a budget.

Again, though, the 850 EVOs go on sale all the time. Here's the PCPartPicker link: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e250bam

I would stay away from Kingston V300s for a while, since retailers are still selling the old, crappy ones. Kingston HyperX SSD's are a great choice if you're on a bit of a budget.

Again, though, the 850 EVOs go on sale all the time. Here's the PCPartPicker link: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e250bam

Ah i thought it was obvious from the links. I'm in Croatia, so pcpartpicker doesn't really apply to me.

I'm leaning more and more towards the cheaper $58 hyperx fury.

Ah i thought it was obvious from the links. I'm in Croatia, so pcpartpicker doesn't really apply to me.

I'm leaning more and more towards the cheaper $58 hyperx fury.

Oh, okay. If you don't want to spend as much money, then yes, a HyperX FURY is a great choice.

Oh, okay. If you don't want to spend as much money, then yes, a HyperX FURY is a great choice.

I'm still not sure if i can get away with no-warranty 250GB 850 Evo for ~$83 with "15" days of usage (supposedly) which is bugging me since it's not that much of a leap, just 50% more for double storage and better quality, but 80$ is pretty much the ceiling for me, since any more than that means i'm living on bread and water for a while, to exaggerate a bit :D

I'd get a new SSD so that you get a warranty. If you have to spend $79 for it, it's still worth it. Maybe you could save up a bit more so you're comfortably affording buying a new one?

Eh, i'll sleep on it and see where it goes. Thanks for the help!