ultimate ghetto GPU heatsink mod?

tomaatvk

For quite some time I have had my GPU's fans running at 0rpm at low loads but they would still sometimes turn on as the temperature would rise above 67°C (my target temperature). The fans still wouldn't be loud but still, it was making a sound.

This morning I was bored and I was looking around for stuff to do and IDK how but randomly it came to mind. I was gonna grab my unused Coolink Corator DS LGA2011 CPU heatsink and find a way to add it to my iChill GTX 970 air boss x3 to give some extra heat dissipation and never have the fans turn on unless I'm gaming.

The next question was, where and how could I possibly mount it?

Luckily my GPU has a memory/VRM heatsink that is perfectly flat with some holes at one side. Also my case is made out of K'nex (link in signature) with the motherboard flat on top. Thanks to all this stuff I could just put the heatsink on the memory/VRM heatsink.

Sadly this still wasn't really stable as the memory/VRM heatsink was too small for the base of the Corator DS. I had to make a small ~6mm raiser to rest the other part of the base on the main GPU heatsink. As I don't have any metal or wood plates at hand I couldn't make something so I just grabbed a bit of cardboard, folded it up, crushed it, warpped some copper around it (to conduct even more heat) and it was a perfect fit.

Now it was just a matter of zip-tying it to the GPU and that's it. Here are some pictures of the result.

Spoiler
upuW66E.jpg
ThKPJ0S.jpg
XsTAkXg.jpg
HTKsJ0B.jpg
tQB8RHF.jpg

I directly started testing and with overclock, full load and 40% fan speed my GPU runs at about 69°C and at low load with 0% fan speed at around 64°C instead of 71°C (it used to idle at that temperature but that is too high IMO).

Summary:

Why not, it was fun to do, I already had the parts and it works. The only problem is that it isn't 100% secure so if someone were to kick my pc it would fall and hell would go down.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

Do this:

Disclaimer: I am not liable for any damage done to your person or your devices or everything else within a 1000m radius from your location should you push through with performing the above mods.

but why?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Do this:

That is too radical IMO and I would have no way of putting the GPU anywhere if I were to put something like that on it. Maybe later.

but why?

I was bored and why not?

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

By the looks of it, you didn't sand off the black paint on the heatsink. I'd imagine you could get it even lower if you did that.

Oh toma...  :lol:

Not sure what to say. Definitly looks funky  :P

Good enough.

By the looks of it, you didn't sand off the black paint on the heatsink. I'd imagine you could get it even lower if you did that.

I didn't but if I were to sell the GPU sanding off pain won't do the value any good. I also didn't apply thermal paste yet. However, with these results I don't really need it as it already works well enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Do this:

Disclaimer: I am not liable for any damage done to your person or your devices or everything else within a 1000m radius from your location should you push through with performing the above mods.

Send heatsinks and my gtx 690 will get it..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I just realised, if the damage radius would exceed 1000m you'd be liable.

I just realised, if the damage radius would exceed 1000m you'd be liable.

What are the odds?

What are the odds?

Just imagine this ok:

If I were to mount a CPU heatsink on my GPU and somehow it would make contact with something and short it out, however, because it is a low voltage shortage my psu won't turn off resulting in about 600 watts of heat being generated continously.

Because of the heat the GPU will at some point stop working but the PC will stay on because there is no power overload or turn off command. The heatsink will soon reach temperatures close to ~700°C.

This will set off a chain reaction, the thermalcompound between the GPU and heatsink will want to evaporate but because of the mounting pressure it can't up untill, at some point. There will be a thermalexplosion launching the heatsink and gpu die in seperate directions releasing a cloud of thermal compound inbetween.

The heatsink will fly gainst my mobo/WiFi-card/sound-card or whatever shorting it out creating a spark of some sort igniting the cloud of thermal compound. This'll cause it to expand even quicker launching the GPU die through the roof into the atmosphere.

Once there it'll get picked up by a stream of wind carrying it away. After over 1km before it'll come crashing into the ground. With the speedbuildup from falling and small size it's impossible to see coming and it'll hit someone in the eye at over 1000m away.

And that is what he'll be liable for.