idling a projector with black screen

simple stupid question: If I keep my projector (dlp acer pd523) on, but would display a black image ...would the lamp life AND dlp chip life decrease?

follow up question: I heard once you turn a projector on, it will decrease the lamp life 8hours, not matter if it is actually only on for say 2 hours....

thanks for all insights and comments!

I don't know much about projectors, but I would assume that as long as the lamp is on it would be decreasing the lamp life.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

I don't know much about projectors, but I would assume that as long as the lamp is on it would be decreasing the lamp life.

thanks man

thanks man

If it's using newer LED lamps instead of bulbs, just keep in mind LED lights are rated for thousands of hours.  But if you plan to put it to "sleep" for hours, I think it's better to just turn it off and save on the electrical bill and overheating of the device.  However if you need to blacken the projection for a short moment (e.g. such as during a presentation and you want the audience to focus on you on the stage instead of the screen in the background), putting the projector to "sleep" is better than powering it down as it may take a brief while for it to turn back on when you need it.

Basically just use your judgement.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

If it's using newer LED lamps instead of bulbs, just keep in mind LED lights are rated for thousands of hours.  But if you plan to put it to "sleep" for hours, I think it's better to just turn it off and save on the electrical bill and overheating of the device.  However if you need to blacken the projection for a short moment (e.g. such as during a presentation and you want the audience to focus on you on the stage instead of the screen in the background), putting the projector to "sleep" is better than powering it down as it may take a brief while for it to turn back on when you need it.

Basically just use your judgement.

merci

...if you need to blacken the projection for a short moment ...

Open MS paint.  Set the image to your resolution.  Fill bucket black.  Click full screen.  Profit :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.