My AMD FX Build In A HAF XB

This build has been in the making since April 2012, There have been ups and downs through it all including bad decisions on my part or just impulse buys that have been bad ideas. I have learned quite a few lessons through it as well. It's a long read but i tend to ramble a bit.

CPU: AMD FX-4100 OC (4.6GHz @ 1.428v)

CPU HS: Noctua NH-D14
RAM: G-Skill RipJawz-X 1600MHz 2x4GB
MB: ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0
GPU: XFX Core Edition HD7870 2GB OC (1100MHz Core / 1250MHz Memory)

S/C: ASUS Xonar DG
PSU: XFX Core Edition Pro 550W 80+ Bronze

SSD: OCZ Agility3 60GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
CASE: Bitfenix Shinobi
Screen: Phillips 23" 1080p LED
Speakers: Logitech Z623
Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid
Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T5
Headset: Corsair Vengance 1300

Nice! Looks super good. Trade? 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

This is why you should not keep upgrading and never go with 2 low end cards.  How much did you end up spending?

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

Well that is some major bad luck....my first and current build was fine :)

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

This is why you should not keep upgrading and never go with 2 low end cards.  How much did you end up spending?

The Two 7770's ended up costing $280, The 7870 only cost $200. I hate to think about what i have spent. The next build i'm going to save for and then just build it all at once.

The total PC cost, i lost count ages ago.

The Two 7770's ended up costing $280, The 7870 only cost $200. I hate to think about what i have spent. The next build i'm going to save for and then just build it all at once.

The total PC cost, i lost count ages ago.

Seems like a much better idea.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

That's a nice looking PC though, always read up on things before buying them! I'm sure you've learned that by now hah

Those Logitech Z623's.. are they good? 

did the Asus motherboard start browning on the back too?

I'd like to think that this is an isolated issue where you received a bad motherboard from gigabyte,because I haven't seen any posts about AM3+ motherboards browning due to the FX 8350.

also you could try a downdraft cpu cooler.

something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709013

or this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608020

It would give more incidental airflow to the vrm and socket area,while also being able to cool the cpu decently.

here's some testing done with the Phanteks PH-C14CS,it performed only marginally worse than the Noctua NH-D14 and Phanteks PH-TC14PE

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phanteks_phtc14cs/4.htm

HardwareSecrets showed similar results where it was only marginally worse than an H100 

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Phanteks-PH-TC14CS-CPU-Cooler-Review/1613/6

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Yeah, I love that build let alone for the fact that you use an D14 :D

But it seems that it just BARELY fits the Shinobi :O

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

That's a nice looking PC though, always read up on things before buying them! I'm sure you've learned that by now hah

Those Logitech Z623's.. are they good? 

Yeah I have learnt to read up about parts, The Z623's Are awesome i love them to bits.

did the Asus motherboard start browning on the back too?

also you could try a downdraft cpu cooler.

something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709013

or this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608020

It would give more incidental airflow to the vrm and socket area,while also being able to cool the cpu decently.

here's some testing done with the Phanteks PH-C14CS,it performed only marginally worse than the Noctua NH-D14 and Phanteks PH-TC14PE

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phanteks_phtc14cs/4.htm

HardwareSecrets showed similar results where it was only marginally worse than an H100 

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Phanteks-PH-TC14CS-CPU-Cooler-Review/1613/6

Nope the Asus motherboard runs cool, The gigabyte was only a 4+1 VRM (Un-Heatsinked) Design. Whereas the Asus board has 6+2 VRM (Heatsinked).

The Asus motherbard actually gets my FX-4100 up to 4.6GHz @1.428v, The gigabyte Board needed 1.450v Or more to get the 4100 stable.

Yeah, I love that build let alone for the fact that you use an D14 :D

But it seems that it just BARELY fits the Shinobi :o

It comes mighty close to not fitting. :D

Talking about a tight fit :D 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Nice pics !

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410

the shinobi is a great case. i would have upgraded to a FX6300 instead of the 8350 because it uses less power than the 8320 but is quite a bit faster than the 4100.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Just out of curiousity, what happened to the 750 watt psu pictured at the start?

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

I like the looks of the gai chi case. But like what you said poor cable management hmm guess don't make it a good case. But then again. There's no window then it would not matter. Also ya its not a bad build. I'd save some money and get 8 core CPU since I noticed you got a pretty decent motherboard 990s series. I got 8320 I'm sure you will notice giant jump in performance if u get something in between there

Amd fx-8320 oc 4.1ghz, 8gb ram, gtx 780ti 3gb, 240gb ssd, 1.5tb hdd,

Just out of curiousity, what happened to the 750 watt psu pictured at the start?

It had a faulty switch on the back of it , So i couldn't switch it off. Sold it to a friend cheap, It's still running just fine Plus the 750w not being modular was a pain and i had the 550w in my File server so i just used it. 550w is plenty for this system anyways.

I like the looks of the gai chi case. But like what you said poor cable management hmm guess don't make it a good case. But then again. There's no window then it would not matter. Also ya its not a bad build. I'd save some money and get 8 core CPU since I noticed you got a pretty decent motherboard 990s series. I got 8320 I'm sure you will notice giant jump in performance if u get something in between there

I like the tai chi as well my mate has it now, i built a system in it for him. If and i mean IF i get a newer CPU it will be an FX-6300, The 8-Cores are just way too power hungry. The FX-8350 was sending my socket temps high.

It had a faulty switch on the back of it , So i couldn't switch it off. Sold it to a friend cheap, It's still running just fine Plus the 750w not being modular was a pain and i had the 550w in my File server so i just used it. 550w is plenty for this system anyways.

Alright, thanks for the response :)

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

Tried for a better OC on the FX-4100 and came up with this 4.8GHz @ 1.51v

Just a question though is 1.51v on a bulldozer safe for 24/7? The Core temp stays at 50c and it cooled by an NH-D14.

The upgrade looks great compared to the old setup. Well done!

Coolermaster Scout 2 Case / ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 Motherboard / AMD FX 8350 8 Core CPU (Stock Speed) / Corsair H100i CPU Cooler / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6GB / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/20323-scout-2-update-build-fx8350-h100i/#entry244058

The FX-8350 is gone and with the money from it i purchased a Coolermaster HAF XB. I Love this case, Looks great it has awesome cable management and hotswaps ion the front.
 I put two 140mm Fractal Silent Series Fans in the front and a Fractal 120mm in the back.

• 1 month later...

Ended up getting the FX-6300, This is the Last Upgrade for this PC. My next upgrade will be when i build a whole new Gaming rig late next year, this should be fine for next gen games. Overclocked the FX-6300 to 4.5GHz, Great CPU For the price.

I also covered the red strip on the 7870 with carbon fiber film, The red just didn't fit in.

Dat Carbon Fiber

in my basement,using a computer,staring at a 1024x768 screen

How do you constantly upgrade this machine? Also good build. I was thinking about getting a 8320 or 8350. From what you said it wasn't that good. Did you have any good experiences with the 8350, please tell.

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533