With the release of Vulkan & Windows 10 creepiness, could SteamOS rise now?

Davehaslanded

Just interested in peoples opinion. Early previews of the Vulkan API have left a positive impression on tech reviews and analysts. With that and experienced techies being far more aware of Microsoft's rather 'creepy' spying approach to Windows going forward, could the free SteamOS really start to take off now? 

I guess a lot of this depends on AAA games being released, but Vulkan does have some big backers; Blizzard, EA, Microsoft (Bizarrely) Oculus, Oxide, Unity, Valve (obviously) and War gaming. WB have also pledged at least some support by announcing the release of Batman Arkham Knight (cant be any worse than the Windows version) 

I was really excited for SteamOS when it was originally announced. A free OS centered around gamers made so much sense to me. It allowed PC levels of gaming performance, but with console levels of control over hardware. But since its original announcement, Excitement appears to have trickled off. 

Valve have recently upped their game though moving closer to launch of OEM, retail made Steam Machines, with advertising appearing on its steam platform. 

So just interested in everyone's thoughts.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

I don't think SteamOS will ever become a replacement for Windows. Too few games currently (even if this changed there are still Origin games etc.) and its not a very good OS for web browsing, etc. (Yes, I am aware that there is a desktop).

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

I sure hope so

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Just interested in peoples opinion. Early previews of the Vulkan API have left a positive impression on tech reviews and analysts. With that and experienced techies being far more aware of Microsoft's rather 'creepy' spying approach to Windows going forward, could the free SteamOS really start to take off now? 

I guess a lot of this depends on AAA games being released, but Vulkan does have some big backers; Blizzard, EA, Microsoft (Bizarrely) Oculus, Oxide, Unity, Valve (obviously) and War gaming. WB have also pledged at least some support by announcing the release of Batman Arkham Knight (cant be any worse than the Windows version) 

I was really excited for SteamOS when it was originally announced. A free OS centered around gamers made so much sense to me. It allowed PC levels of gaming performance, but with console levels of control over hardware. But since its original announcement, Excitement appears to have trickled off. 

Valve have recently upped their game though moving closer to launch of OEM, retail made Steam Machines, with advertising appearing on its steam platform. 

So just interested in everyone's thoughts.

Just use Debian?

I'm really interested in this as a full desktop replacement, but more as something to use alongside, maybe on a seperate rig. I have 2 computers currently, my main editing rig, and my HTPC plugged into my 4KTV with controller. Its the HTPC i can really see thriving from a SteamOS, especially if they add the videoOD features of the consoles like netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer here in the UK.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130