The "New" Lenovo y50 4k

hbh7
Go to solution Solved by hbh7,

Alright, I've had the unit for about a week. This is what I ended up buying. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281774002090?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Ebay will eventually expire the link so here's the specs:

i7 4720HQ 3.6Ghz Turbo 2.6 Ghz Base

Nvidia GTX 960m 4GB GDDR5

16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM

15.6" UHD 4k 3840x2160 IPS Multitouch Panel

512GB SSD 

Anyways so I love the machine, but that's not the point. 

It does have a slight mustarding of the yellows, but its hardly noticeable.  Skype emoji's are the most likely thing to notice lol.

The panel also does run at 48 Hz, which I hardly notice either. I don't think the 12 FPS makes all that much of a difference, but

for some people it will. 

Hope this helps anyone who's interested in a Y50. Thanks

-hbh7

Hello everyone, quick question to those who it applies to,

Has anyone actually bought the "new" Lenovo y50 laptop with the 4k touchscreen and 960m? 
If so, did they actually fix the whole 48 Hz and yellowed out panel? 

If they did, then this might be the laptop I choose to buy. 

Thanks!

-hbh7

I haven't bought one, but I think they only changed the gpu.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeh I haven't found any reviews on the new one with the 4k display so I have no idea. Thanks though

Wow no one? Ok then.... Clearly I have odd needs/wants out of a laptop. xD

Wow no one? Ok then.... Clearly I have odd needs/wants out of a laptop. xD

Unless they started using eDP and Iris Pro GPUs then it's 48Hz. LVDS and HD4600 cannot output at 4K 60Hz,

Just look up the CPU. If it's not Iris Pro iGPUs for it, then it's 48Hz. Simple.

If it is broadwell & Iris Pro, then you'll need to find out if eDP or not

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Hello everyone, quick question to those who it applies to,

Has anyone actually bought the "new" Lenovo y50 laptop with the 4k touchscreen and 960m? 

If so, did they actually fix the whole 48 Hz and yellowed out panel? 

If they did, then this might be the laptop I choose to buy. 

Thanks!

-hbh7

What's your budget?

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Unless they started using eDP and Iris Pro GPUs then it's 48Hz. LVDS and HD4600 cannot output at 4K 60Hz,

Just look up the CPU. If it's not Iris Pro iGPUs for it, then it's 48Hz. Simple.

If it is broadwell & Iris Pro, then you'll need to find out if eDP or not

Its got an i7 4720HQ in it, so its haswell. Intel's specs say it supports eDP output. Does it matter that its got a 960m in it too? Or would it still be limited to what the iGPU can output? The iGPU Is indeed a 4600. 

What's your budget?

Can't go over $1500, but with that I have huge requirements.... 

Relatively new i7

16GB ram or more

SSD of at least 256GB

4k display

Touchscreen

Something better than a GTX 860m

LED Backlit keyboard with number pad

15" or 17" display

Does not weigh 50 pounds

If you've got suggestions that'd be great but I've only found like 3 laptops that fit this. I'm just odd I guess.

Thanks

4k display

I have something in mind, but why would you need a 4K display for?

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Figured you'd ask, Um I just can't stand not having enough screen real estate on laptops since I can't hook up another monitor to them in most circumstances. (aka school) I'm the type of person that multitasks heavily and has a million things open at once. 

Nonetheless, what were you thinking?

Figured you'd ask, Um I just can't stand not having enough screen real estate on laptops since I can't hook up another monitor to them in most circumstances. (aka school) I'm the type of person that multitasks heavily and has a million things open at once. 

Nonetheless, what were you thinking?

There's the Clevo P650SE. Comes with a 970M, a 15.6" full HD IPS panel (still roughly depends on the Clevo reseller you would be getting from), 3 cooling fans, runs quiet (when not playing games, like you're in class), 4 RAM slots, 2 M.2 SSD slots and 2 SATA slots which can be set up in RAID, about 2.5kg and 25mm thick. I have the 980M variant (P650SG) and I love it. I bring it to school everyday.

http://www.sagernote...p?productid=755

You can get it from like 1444 USD with a full HD IPS panel.

EDIT: This has about 4 hours of battery life from my experience while in class in like high performance mode, your mileage may vary.

I don't see the point in having more than 1080P in a laptop.

Its got an i7 4720HQ in it, so its haswell. Intel's specs say it supports eDP output. Does it matter that its got a 960m in it too? Or would it still be limited to what the iGPU can output? The iGPU Is indeed a 4600. 

No, it doesn't matter what the nVidia card is. It could have a GTX Titan X wired to it; as long as Optimus is working, the iGPU is what drives the displays. Which means you're limited to what the iGPU can do. No monitor refresh overclocking, no custom resolutions, no resolution/refresh rate levels that the HD4600 cannot sustain, etc.

You'd need to ask Lenovo if they used eDP for that. If they didn't, then it's 48Hz. Can't get 4K 60Hz on current LVDS spec.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I don't see the point in having more than 1080P in a laptop.

Ok its not going to quote your quote, but yeah I actually was considering that laptop for a while now, and will keep it in mind if I can't find something suitable with a touchscreen. Thanks though

No, it doesn't matter what the nVidia card is. It could have a GTX Titan X wired to it; as long as Optimus is working, the iGPU is what drives the displays. Which means you're limited to what the iGPU can do. No monitor refresh overclocking, no custom resolutions, no resolution/refresh rate levels that the HD4600 cannot sustain, etc.

You'd need to ask Lenovo if they used eDP for that. If they didn't, then it's 48Hz. Can't get 4K 60Hz on current LVDS spec.

Well, that sucks. I'll consider contacting Lenovo though and see what they have to say about it. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Probably no one remembers this by now, but I thought I'd mention that I ended up buying this http://www.ebay.com/itm/281774002090?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Will update post this weekend when it arrives. 

Have fun and good luck with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I've had the unit for about a week. This is what I ended up buying. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281774002090?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Ebay will eventually expire the link so here's the specs:

i7 4720HQ 3.6Ghz Turbo 2.6 Ghz Base

Nvidia GTX 960m 4GB GDDR5

16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM

15.6" UHD 4k 3840x2160 IPS Multitouch Panel

512GB SSD 

Anyways so I love the machine, but that's not the point. 

It does have a slight mustarding of the yellows, but its hardly noticeable.  Skype emoji's are the most likely thing to notice lol.

The panel also does run at 48 Hz, which I hardly notice either. I don't think the 12 FPS makes all that much of a difference, but

for some people it will. 

Hope this helps anyone who's interested in a Y50. Thanks

-hbh7