Flashing My Reference 290x to a 390x

HectiKCookiE
Go to solution Solved by rcarlos243,

R9 390x has higher memory clock speed (1500Mhz vs 1250Mhz) and tighter timings (even with lower clocks).

R9 390x also has higher stock voltage +50mv which results in higher VRM1 temps.

R9 390x BIOS has different RevID=(80) compared to r9 290 RevID=(00) which means drivers for R9 390x won't work unless you inf mod it. Also no one has been able to change the RevID for r9 290 so fat.

Even R9 290x that has Hynix memory has problems being stable with downclocked memory (1250Mhz) and it is much worse if you have elpida.

Even the modified bios by netkas that downclock the memory to 1250Mhz and has adjusted the memory to 4GB, it is causing instabilities due to tighter timing and higher VDDC of R9 390x.

Dropping the memory frequency below 1250Mhz on Hawaii cards results in sharp performance drop as the timings get loose.

PCPP http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vg96f7 CPU: Intel i7 4790K MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X S.O.C Ram: G.Skill 2x 8gb GPU: 2x AMD R9 290x in CrossFire SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster z Case: NZXT H440 RED/BLK Storage: 2x Intel 520s 120gb Raid 0 + 2tb Seagate 7200 PSU: EVGA 1000W G2 Fully Modular Display: Samsung UHD 4K 28'' KeyBoard: Corsair K65 RGB Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 7 Sound: Logitech z506 OS: Windows 10 TP

Holy crap.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

I did this to my 980ti and then it became a titan with 12gb vram. Just kidding, looks fun and cool.

blackshades on

If you want your 290X to be even louder go ahead... Not recommended with reference cooler.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

R9 390x has higher memory clock speed (1500Mhz vs 1250Mhz) and tighter timings (even with lower clocks).

R9 390x also has higher stock voltage +50mv which results in higher VRM1 temps.

R9 390x BIOS has different RevID=(80) compared to r9 290 RevID=(00) which means drivers for R9 390x won't work unless you inf mod it. Also no one has been able to change the RevID for r9 290 so fat.

Even R9 290x that has Hynix memory has problems being stable with downclocked memory (1250Mhz) and it is much worse if you have elpida.

Even the modified bios by netkas that downclock the memory to 1250Mhz and has adjusted the memory to 4GB, it is causing instabilities due to tighter timing and higher VDDC of R9 390x.

Dropping the memory frequency below 1250Mhz on Hawaii cards results in sharp performance drop as the timings get loose.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

Thanks

PCPP http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vg96f7 CPU: Intel i7 4790K MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X S.O.C Ram: G.Skill 2x 8gb GPU: 2x AMD R9 290x in CrossFire SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster z Case: NZXT H440 RED/BLK Storage: 2x Intel 520s 120gb Raid 0 + 2tb Seagate 7200 PSU: EVGA 1000W G2 Fully Modular Display: Samsung UHD 4K 28'' KeyBoard: Corsair K65 RGB Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 7 Sound: Logitech z506 OS: Windows 10 TP

Well I am waiting for a BIOS for the R9 390X DC II and will then maybe try to flash my R9 290X DC II.

As I read the R9 290X DC II does not use the reference PCB and therefor needs another BIOS.

My beast (PC):

• ASUS R.O.G. Rampage IV Black Edition, X79, LGA2011, AC4
  • 2x ASUS Fury X
  • Intel Core i7 4930K BOX (LGA 2011, 3.40GHz) OC @4.4GHz
  • Corsair H100i, CPU Cooler (240mm)
  • Samsung SSD 830 Series (512GB)
  • Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB
  • Western Digital 512GB HDD
  • TridentX 4x 8GB 2400MHz
  • Corsair Obsidian 900D