Unstable WiFi connection with desktop

trunks044

Okay, so I am kinda at my wits end at this point.  Long story short, I have had to move my desktop setup into our bedroom because we are turning my old office into a nursery (yay kids!).  Anyways, there is no way for me to have a wired connection to my router with my desktop in its current position (which isnt going to change right now).  So, I went out and got me a usb 3.0 wifi adapter (Netgear A6210) to connect my desktop to my router (Asus RT-AC87R).  Unfortunately now, my connection seems very unstable.  I am on the 5 GHz band, and using Vistumbler, I made sure I was not on the same channel as any of my neighbors (im on 161, closest neighbor on 149).  The RSSI is hovering around -50 dBm.

Anyways, I am not sure what to do at this point.  I am unable to play any games online, can't watch Twitch streams, I feel dead in the water.  Any help would be grateful.

Router: Asus RT-AC87R

WiFi adapter: Netgear A6210

a few things you can try:

- use 2.4 GHz band (5 GHz can be blocked by walls more easily)

- change the physical position of you Adapter and PC

a few things you can try:

- use 2.4 GHz band (5 GHz can be blocked by walls more easily)

- change the physical position of you Adapter and PC

Okay so dropping down to 2.4 band seems to have made things worse if anything.  I checked to make sure I wasn't on the same channel as my neighbors, but a lot of them are using 2.4 GHz bands (only one other person using 5 GHz band).

Unfortunately I can't move my desktop, it's now in its new home in the master bedroom.  I did move my router to the middle of the house (living room, one story house) from the office.  The signal strength seems to be stronger, however connectivity issues still the problem.

Oh, I live in a 1600 sqft home that was just built this year (2015).

Okay so dropping down to 2.4 band seems to have made things worse if anything.  I checked to make sure I wasn't on the same channel as my neighbors, but a lot of them are using 2.4 GHz bands (only one other person using 5 GHz band).

Unfortunately I can't move my desktop, it's now in its new home in the master bedroom.  I did move my router to the middle of the house (living room, one story house) from the office.  The signal strength seems to be stronger, however connectivity issues still the problem.

Oh, I live in a 1600 sqft home that was just built this year (2015).

try getting a better wifi card.

Well what would be a better wifi card then? I just bought this wifi adapter on Sunday. I guess I can still return it, but what would be an alternative