What Monitor to get?

cliophate

Hi there,

so the last couple of days I've been researching display monitors.

I want to upgrade my old ASUS VH242H with something new, preferably 27".

My Gaming PC currently rocks a GTX 670 but I'm planning to upgrade sometimes this year though I'm not quite sure if I'll take a 970 or whatever is coming out of the pipe.

My spec:

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43

CPU: Intel i5 3570K (@ 4,3)

RAM: 8GB RipjawsX

GPU: GTX 670

Power Supply: Seasonic P-520 FL 520W ATX23

While I'd like to get a G-Sync screen, I also attach a MacBook to my display. So I have to have at least one DVI or HDMI-connection which won't work with G-Sync.

So my question to you: what monitor shall I get or am I better of just waiting to see what's coming out of the pipe this year?

Has anything been announced that is worth the wait?

If you can wait, then you may aswell wait until computex in a few weeks that Linus will cover and see what is new there. I'm also waiting for new Gsync monitors or features like you

what's your budget and preferred resolution?

My budget right now is around 500€, which according to Google is $550. However if I don't spend all my budget at once I can obviously buy a better graphics card sooner.

While I'm used to 1080p, I guess going at least 1440p would be way more future-proof? Though I wonder if my 670 supports such a resolution.

I'm currently looking at following models:

- BenQ XL2720Z

- BenQ XL2730Z

- Acer Predator XB270HU

- Acer Predator XB270Hb

- Any kind of ASUS.

While I'm really into gaming I mostly play stuff like GTA V, Witcher 3, a loooot of indie games. Currently only online-gaming I play is BF4 (and HearthStone, though that doesn't need any kind of fast anything.) I like my beautiful graphics and stutter free games though. So I wonder if 1440p is too much for my 670.

At the same time my MacBook Pro is attached to my screen. I don't really work with graphics except some basic photo editing for articles (I'm journalist). Though G-Sync doesn't work because only one screen has more than one input.

So there you go. You now know my dilemma. Shall I wait, invest in a new graphics card first or is there a screen that fits my need?

So I wonder if 1440p is too much for my 670.

Thats a bad argument really.

You always get the best monitor you can FIRST. Then you worry about internal hardware, cuz video cards change REALLY fast.

Personally never going back to 16:9 gaming, after trying 21:9.

There are two 21:9`s with freesync out now. Gsync ones are coming soon too. So i would at least wait till computex in a few weeks to see whats what.

I think I wait till Computex. I read about the GTX 980 Ti coming soonish, so maybe that will be my card of choice then. Guess I'll can go for something similar to the Acer XB270Hu then.

I think I wait till Computex. I read about the GTX 980 Ti coming soonish, so maybe that will be my card of choice then. Guess I'll can go for something similar to the Acer XB270Hu then.

I'm getting that one in the next month, so if you don't need to get one now wait for the price to drop down; or wait for the next best thing. 

I'm getting that one in the next month, so if you don't need to get one now wait for the price to drop down; or wait for the next best thing. 

I think I will. Imho the perfect screen for me would be a 27", 1440p version of the BenQ 2420G. It has both G-Sync AND additional ports.