Will dx12 double the vram in sli/crossfire?

i researched this topic a lot and nobody seems to have a clear answer, IS dx12 capable of combining ram so that if u have 2 4gb cards they would be 8? this will make the 970 issues go away in sli. i wanna know cuz i am currently buying a 970 and i wanna know if in the future i can play 4k by putting another one in sli??? 

No one has a clear answer because no one really knows yet. The rumor is it will, but it's just that. A rumor

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I believe the ability to do that is up to the GPU manufacturers, Nvidia and AMD. Our current graphics cards are not manufactured to divide memory across cards, but even if it were possible, some feature like that would likely be handled at the lower, driver level, not the graphics API level. So I would assume that we will not see VRAM division from DX12

EDIT

There is software, like AMD's Mantle API, that can treat two graphics cards as two independent cards, thus splitting the processing load AND memory, should each card's driver allow. Many speculate that this could be a feature available in DX12, which, I believe is the more likely.

AMD FX8350  2x ASUS Radeon R9 270X 4GB  ASUS Sabertooth 990FX  -  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 16GB

I wouldn't think that it would, because I think that both GPUs would need to have the data stored in VRAM accessible on both cards so they can both process it at once. This is at least my theory on how performance is benefited by dual or more GPUs. Unless someone else truly knows how it works.

• 1 month later...

explains it better than I ever could. 

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/directx-12-has-the-fastest-adoption-since-directx-9-explicit-multiadapter-explained/

DX12 will support independent memory allocation, meaning that developers will be able to use the total amount of VRAM that is available on Crossfire and SLI systems.

*edit* facepalm, its a damn necro thread.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR