Intel Debuts Additional Core M Processors

BiG StroOnZ

The list of three 14 nm Core M processors, unveiled back in September 2014, has grown with four more models – the Core M 5Y10c, Core M 5Y31, Core M 5Y51 and Core M 5Y71 processors. All of them are now listed in Intel’s documents but the pricing of the new chips is still unknown.

The Core M 5Y10c processor offers two cores with Hyper-Threading technology for four threads being processed at the same time and runs at 800 MHz – 2 GHz. The chip has 4 MB of L3 cache and Intel HD 5300 graphics at 300-800 MHz. The TDP of the chip is 4.5 watts.

The Core M 5Y31 processor has two cores with Hyper-Threading technology for four threads being processed at the same time and runs at 900 MHz – 2.40 GHz. The chip has 4 MB of L3 cache and Intel HD 5300 graphics at 300-850 MHz. The TDP of the chip is 4.5 watts.

The Core M 5Y51 is a more powerful chip – it has two cores plus HT for four threads being worked on at the same time. The chip runs at 1.1 – 2.6 GHz and has 4 MB of L3 cache, Intel HD 5300 graphics at 300-900 MHz and TDP of 4.5 watts.

The Core M 5Y71 is the most powerful model of the four it has two cores plus HT technology and works at 1.2 – 2.9 GHz. The chip packs 4 MB of L3 cache, Intel HD 5300 graphics at 300-900 MHz and TDP of 4.5 watts.

Source: http://www.hitechreview.com/it-products/pc/intel-debuts-core-m-processors-pays-compensation-pentium-4-owners/48939/

Not exactly sure what these processors are going to be used for, MacBook Airs use Core series, as do Ultrabooks, and also the Surface Pro 3 too. Maybe for next generation models? 

at this rate the surface pro 4 might be more cost effective then the pro 3. but damn intel how many chips you need.

Not exactly sure what these processors are going to be used for, MacBook Airs use Core series, as do Ultrabooks, and also the Surface Pro 3 too. Maybe for next generation models? 

Core M is targeted towards the hand held mobile market such as tablets.

NOOOOO! NINJA'ED! DAMN YOU! ;)

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

at this rate the surface pro 4 might be more cost effective then the pro 3. but damn intel how many chips you need.

Have you seen the Broadwell U and skylake S spread? It's like 20 chips each. I honestly think they've gone overboard, even though Skylake S finally brings some 6-cores to the mainstream line.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Have you seen the Broadwell U and skylake S spread? It's like 20 chips each. I honestly think they've gone overboard, even though Skylake S finally brings some 6-cores to the mainstream line.

yes, i hope skylake gives us a 6 core chip with similar performance to the 5820k for the same price as the 4790k, or a 4 core with an extremely large boost in single core performance

yes, i hope skylake gives us a 6 core chip with similar performance to the 5820k for the same price as the 4790k, or a 4 core with an extremely large boost in single core performance

To be fair, the 5820k and 4790k are very closely priced. It's the Motherboard and RAM which are more costly than their more mature counterparts.

To be fair, the 5820k and 4790k are very closely priced. It's the Motherboard and RAM which are more costly than their more mature counterparts.

closely but one still costs more, around £50 more in the uk.

closely but one still costs more

Marginally, and that's 2 more CPU cores. You can't have everything at once without a cost :)

Marginally, and that's 2 more CPU cores. You can't have everything at once without a cost :)

yep but skylake is new and coming in the future, so its got to be better some how right? if it has to use the same expensive ddr4 as x99 then its going to have to beat it in some way

yep but skylake is new and coming in the future, so its got to be better some how right? if it has to use the same expensive ddr4 as x99 then its going to have to beat it in some way

DDR4 prices are falling like a stone. Also don't forget it comes with fully unified memory and at least 40% more iGPU power over Broadwell which is a 40% total throughput improvement over Haswell iGPU. There's also wireless charging, AVX 3.2 512-bit and SSE 4.2 512-bit coming, more than doubling data-level parallelism. Whether or not programs optimize for it quickly is the only variable. The only reason Sandy Bridge is still so popular is most people don't run virtual machines and most programs don't take advantage of iGPU acceleration via OpenCL, which Sandy Bridge iGPU doesn't support. Also, optimizations for Haswell's 4th ALU haven't started appearing the way they should if modern (non-Microsoft) compilers were being used. If you compile the same C++ code in Visual Studio vs. Clang, G++, or ICPC (Intel's C++ compiler) you'll get different results and different optimizations. Intel's compiler, while the most memory intensive and taking the most time, produces code which runs up to 40% faster than anything Clang and G++ come up with, both of which are better than Microsoft's C++ compiler in the first place.

DDR4 prices are falling like a stone. Also don't forget it comes with fully unified memory and at least 40% more iGPU power over Broadwell which is a 40% total throughput improvement over Haswell iGPU. There's also wireless charging, AVX 3.2 512-bit and SSE 4.2 512-bit coming, more than doubling data-level parallelism. Whether or not programs optimize for it quickly is the only variable. The only reason Sandy Bridge is still so popular is most people don't run virtual machines and most programs don't take advantage of iGPU acceleration via OpenCL, which Sandy Bridge iGPU doesn't support. Also, optimizations for Haswell's 4th ALU haven't started appearing the way they should if modern (non-Microsoft) compilers were being used. If you compile the same C++ code in Visual Studio vs. Clang, G++, or ICPC (Intel's C++ compiler) you'll get different results and different optimizations. Intel's compiler, while the most memory intensive and taking the most time, produces code which runs up to 40% faster than anything Clang and G++ come up with, both of which are better than Microsoft's C++ compiler in the first place.

all true but that stuff relies so much on third party's it'll take a while for it to be a really good selling point

all true but that stuff relies so much on third party's it'll take a while for it to be a really good selling point

that's the problem with the current software-hardware cycle. Great hardware way ahead of most software exists, but software isn't coming and pushing at it in the consumer realm. In the cloud computing realm Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Qualcomm, and ARM can't keep up. It's really disheartening knowing the old-guard game programmers suck so much and they don't even realize it. I mean, for most software being HSA-compliant or more parallel really only presents more R&D costs, but Microsoft Excel keeps up. Other than that though, the field is barren of bleeding-edge software.

I pushed my old workstation's Q9550 until the 4960X came out, and that was a massive performance jump, but I know I'm gonna be able to sit on that until Cannonlake/Cannonlake-E or possibly beyond at the rate software is moving.

FYI, Skylake can use DDR3 or DDR4, depending on the board. Also, I don't know where you heard anything about 6-cores from...

FYI, Skylake can use DDR3 or DDR4, depending on the board. Also, I don't know where you heard anything about 6-cores from...

Supports 32 PCIe lanes on the Z107 platform. Do you really expect Intel to not fork over 6 cores as a selling point? Also, Intel investor. I sorta get the heads up on general plans since I have a 2% stake.

Supports 32 PCIe lanes on the Z107 platform. Do you really expect Intel to not fork over 6 cores as a selling point? Also, Intel investor. I sorta get the heads up on general plans since I have a 2% stake.

Heh. I'd figure that would be in the roadmap, though. I guess I'll wait and see.

yeah pretty much what happened to AMD with their 8 half core cpus

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

yeah pretty much what happened to AMD with their 8 half core cpus

id say thats 50 50, the 8 cores were still not particularly strong so they had to have a heavily threaded application most an unlocked i5 would still beat them with just the four cores even in rendering.