Desktop crashes then wont turn OFF

vikeyev
Go to solution Solved by vikeyev,

Ok so trying my partners cpu and so far is failing to POST, doesnt have the pesky power off problem though. When I power on, the GPU fan spins up real fast, slows down to normal and then after a few seconds spin up again, rinse, repeat.

EDIT: Not really sure why it wouldn't POST but it randomly worked (and has since) figured out the problem was with my PSU because it happened when I put that PSU into my missus computer and now that I'm using hers it is running fine. Thanks for all of the help to everyone.

Started last night, display went off and I noticed the lights on my mouse and keyboard went off as well (everything else on pc is normal). Couldn't turn off pc or reset, even opened side case to try the power button on mobo, had to hit PSU switch.

It keeps happening, I can rarely get into desktop and when I can it doesn't last long. Temps seemed normal.

Specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5

CPU: AMD Phenom X6 1050t (I think)

GPU: AMD Radeon HD6970

PSU: Cooler Master GX 750w

RAM: 12gb GSkills (cant quite remember)

could be a motherboard stall between it and the CPU. If it isn't responding it probably has something to do with the motherboard.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

could be a motherboard stall between it and the CPU. If it isn't responding it probably has something to do with the motherboard.

Holy heck that was quick lol.

Is there any way to diagnose that without another mobo?

do things still work on the desktop (loading wheel, videos, task manager, any sign of intelligent life)?
If so, it may be driver or malware related.
If it entirely freezes, it could be, as Deletive said, a mobo.
It could also be PSU or RAM, but most likely mobo.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Holy heck that was quick lol.

Is there any way to diagnose that without another mobo?

stress test things. Like the CPU/RAM/GPU (seperately) and if the problem keeps coming back on all of those it'll give you an idea.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

stress test things. Like the CPU/RAM/GPU (seperately) and if the problem keeps coming back on all of those it'll give you an idea.

Problem is I can rarely get into the desktop to do anything as it crashes within minutes.

yeah, people reply extremely quick on here. i was scared at first by the rate of replies when i first joined.

what were you doing when everything went haywire?

Youtube and Unreal Engine 4.

Problem is I can rarely get into the desktop to do anything as it crashes within minutes.

Probably is the processor/motherboard; have you tried safe mode?

Computing enthusiast. 

do things still work on the desktop (loading wheel, videos, task manager, any sign of intelligent life)?

If so, it may be driver or malware related.

If it entirely freezes, it could be, as Deletive said, a mobo.

It could also be PSU or RAM, but most likely mobo.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Probably is the processor/motherboard; have you tried safe mode?

Ill try that now. It also crashes in the bios, as I thought it may be something in there and had a poke around but it crashed before I could save the settings. Also if it crashes I have to leave it for 5 mins otherwise it won't boot up it will just power on to the same point it crashed from ( as in nothing on screen and cant power off).

Edit: usually if I can get to the desktop everything still works fine, but atm I cant even make it to the desktop.

Ill try that now. It also crashes in the bios, as I thought it may be something in there and had a poke around but it crashed before I could save the settings. Also if it crashes I have to leave it for 5 mins otherwise it won't boot up it will just power on to the same point it crashed from ( as in nothing on screen and cant power off).

Now I would say it might be a motherboard or CPU problem; I know in the bios the CPU runs at 100% and when you start loading windows it does then too. do you have a spare cpu for that motherboard? find one online.

Computing enthusiast. 

Now I would say it might be a motherboard or CPU problem; I know in the bios the CPU runs at 100% and when you start loading windows it does then too. do you have a spare cpu for that motherboard? find one online.

Ill pilfer my missus Cpu (pretty sure its the same socket) and see how i go.

Ok so trying my partners cpu and so far is failing to POST, doesnt have the pesky power off problem though. When I power on, the GPU fan spins up real fast, slows down to normal and then after a few seconds spin up again, rinse, repeat.

EDIT: Not really sure why it wouldn't POST but it randomly worked (and has since) figured out the problem was with my PSU because it happened when I put that PSU into my missus computer and now that I'm using hers it is running fine. Thanks for all of the help to everyone.